Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 143

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Tappet reserve take-up guage
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

BrianG
See User information
Need to know where to buy a tappet reserve take up gauge or tool?? Can someone tell me a web sight to go to or a phone number I can call. Is there a guage and a tool?? Most likely going to buy all new exhaust valves. Is it worth buying stainless or stick with regular exhaust valves?? Thanks, Brian.

Posted on: 2015/2/10 15:36
 Top  Print   

Re: Tappet reserve take-up guage
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The "tool" comprises the gauge block (cylinder of steel) that you insert into the cam follower in place of the hydraulic unit, and a set of feeler gauges. The repro is just the gauge block itself; we most all have feeler gauges amyway; you'll need to measure between 0.030" and 0.070". I'll look again to see if I have a scan of the source but again I believe it was P.N.R (Pacific Northwest Region).

As to exhaust valves probably all you can buy in repro today are stainless steel which would be much preferred anyway. Egge is the primary source, also Kanter Auto Parts and no doubt Max as well. I'd avoid NOS Packard valves if you should run across them, the stainless is much superior.

PS - try Pacific Northwest Packards,P.O. Box 205, Snoqualmie, WA 98065, or snopack at comcast dot net.

Posted on: 2015/2/10 16:53
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

john verity
See User information
Hi, John Verity here from Boise Idaho. I am rebuilding my 356. If I knew the height of the tappet reserve take-up guage, I could have the engine rebuilder make one.

Do you know the height? Thanks. johnjverity@hotmail.com

Posted on: 2015/6/23 18:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just my opinion, but for the very few $ that it costs, why not buy it from the folks who lay out the $ to reproduce items that keep our cars functional?

Posted on: 2015/6/24 10:51
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

john verity
See User information
Hi, I would be happy to buy the gauge from someone who makes them. How do I contact those people?

Thanks, John Verity

Posted on: 2015/6/24 12:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Here is one source; widely advertised, been available for decades - specify for 356 or 327/359. $12.00

Pacific Northwest Region P.O. BOX 205, SNOQUALMIE, WA 98065
EMAIL: snopack@comcast.net

Posted on: 2015/6/24 12:46
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved