Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 204

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1939 Packard 12 touring sedan limousine
Just popping in
Just popping in

Russ
See User information
An elderly friend as just acquired his third Packard a 1939 1708 Limousine. Being 84 he has no conception of the internet so I try and help out providing what information I can find out. I have been delighted to acquire owners, shop and data manuals from this site already, so many thanks to the gentlemen who have provided that technical information.

We are in the UK (Somerset)so information is scant, I would appreciate any information someone may have of this particular model so I can build up a story of it!

I would expect few examples to still exist, would there be any specific information relating to numbers built and still surviving (I am aware some 446 V12 automobiles were built in 1939)

All relevant stories/information appreciated.

She has come through a 10 year restoration here in the UK.

Regards

Russ

Attach file:

jpg  (34.61 KB)
90065_5540073b40782.jpg 500X365 px

Posted on: 2015/4/28 17:18
 Top  Print   

Re: 1939 Packard 12 touring sedan limousine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Great looking car! Charlie Blackman did a statistical analysis based on surviving vehicle numbers to estimate the number of each body style made, I have a copy and will look it up. I'd also like to have the vehicle number and theft-proof number, PM them to me if you want to keep them confidential. Also, many, nearly half, of the 39 Twelves used left-over 1938 Twelve or Super Eight bodies - it will be interesting to see if this is one of those.

If you want it to be authentically correct, alternate grille shutters should be painted - a 1939-only feature.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 17:43
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Russ
See User information
Hello Owen.

By theft proof number would you mean the number pressed into the bulkhead firewall on the upper right hand side?

Regards

Russ

Posted on: 2015/4/28 17:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 18:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello Russ:

For what it is worth the following club membership directories list the number of 1939-1708, 1235 Limosines:

PAC Directory (2013-2014) shows 6, including one in Slough UK.
CCCA Directory (2014-2015) shows 3, without repeats of PAC
PI Directory is no longer published.

Therefore, the number registered with these clubs is 9.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 18:37
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
O_D, how can you tell if it's a left over body from 1938?

Posted on: 2015/4/28 19:03
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
O_D, how can you tell if it's a left over body from 1938

By a careful analysis of surviving vehicle numbers and corresponding body serial or theft-proof numbers. Based on the data I've collected 1939 Twelves with theft-proof numbers of 414XXX or less are left-over 38 bodies; the 39 Twelves with bodies built in 1939 seem to start around 475XXX. All the numbers in between are for models other than Twelves.

Posted on: 2015/4/28 22:18
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Russ
See User information
Hello Roger.

Thank you for that information!

My friend (Gerry) only acquired the vehicle one week ago, so the one you mentioned as being registered in Slough would be the same vehicle.

Regards

Russ

Posted on: 2015/4/29 7:26
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Russ
See User information
Hello Owen.

The theft proof number is <412XXX> actually the number 1 looks more like a capital letter I.

So from your analysis then the body was initially produced in 1938. I presume this might have been done in anticipation of an order or possibly a cancelled order from that year?

I don't have chassis number to hand as the vehicle documents are away on change of ownership and I haven't located one from a quick look around! Would that assist in tracing any previous ownership/history details that may exist?

Regards

Russ

Posted on: 2015/4/29 7:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I presume this might have been done in anticipation of an order or possibly a cancelled order from that year?

1937 was the highest production for the Twelve and I expect Packard anticipated similar production for 1938 and prepared for the same. However the industry was hit by the mini-recession of 1938, car sales took a significant drop, so sales never reached the anticipated levels. At least this is the reason most often postulated.

Posted on: 2015/4/29 7:52
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved