Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
63 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 62

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Turn Signal problems 47 custom super Clipper
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Lauren R Lampi
See User information
I have been having problems with the turn signals on my 47 custom super Clipper. The signals will not cancel automatically when I turn the corner. The turn signal unit in the column just under the wheel clicks as I straighten the wheel but will not cancel automatically.
There is a space between the wheel and the chrome signal unit housing of about 3/8 inch. I had read on the forum that the outer sleeve of the steering column can be moved up a bit after the bracket under the dash is loosened a bit and something on the column under the hood. I can't
remember what was to be loosed under the hood. Looking at the end of the steering column an inch or two before the column gets to the steering box there is a "U" bolt that goes around the end column. Is that the part that needs to be loosened in order to slide the column a bit closer to the wheel?.

Also the turn signals are very dim. I painted the inside of all the light "buckets" with white paint. Grounded all of the lights with a separate ground wire. Using Halogen replacement bulbs for the turn signals and tail/stop lights.
I rewired all the sockets with new little brass/copper Contacts and wiring. Do I need a different "flasher unit"
if I have the halogen bulbs? Do I need to pull the wheel and replace the turn signal unit? Or should I just go back the regular turn signal bulbs and tail/stop light bulbs?

Lauren R Lampi
Grand Rapids, Minnesota

Posted on: 2015/10/6 17:16
Lauren R Lampi
Grand Rapids, Minn.
 Top  Print   

Re: Turn Signal problems 47 custom super Clipper
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The steering column is held by two clamps. The one under the dash and the one by the steering box. Even if those clamps are loosened the column may not want to raise. If that is the case, there is a concave shaped split ring around the steering shaft at the upper bearing. It provides the inner race for the bearing and is a tight fit on the shaft. It may not allow the column to slide unless the steering wheel and spring is removed and the ring moved up first, column slid or pried up and then ring pushed back in the bearing when the column is at the proper position. Am posting a couple of photos showing the lower clamp and the split ring.

If the bulbs are flashing at the proper speed I doubt a new flasher would do much good but it wouldn't hurt to try another or at least get one for a spare while they are available. There have been a few of the TungSol 229D flashers on ebay at around $30. I wouldn't bother with the 535s which is the modern relatively inexpensive 6v replacements. The terminals are wrong for the 47 and they don't flash the indicator lights properly if the car has positive ground. If the Halogen bulbs are approximately the same resistance as the old incandescents then the flasher will work normally. Too much difference in resistance and the flasher will either go very fast or barely flash at all. If your speed is OK, so probably is the flasher. The turn signals are not that great in brightness even under the best conditions though.

Attach file:

jpg  (84.88 KB)
209_5614755a711e0.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (79.91 KB)
209_56147561d1535.jpg 1280X725 px

Posted on: 2015/10/6 20:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved