Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 139

Alvin14, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1954 Caribbean convertible top
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Leon "Pete"
See User information
We believe material to be original. It is rather worn cloth and has a plastic rear window with a heavy zipper. The color is off-white and is also off-white on the interior side.

I have been trying to buy correct material to replace the top. I have been told that the top should actually be vinyl with a diamond point pattern, vinyl with a leather grain pattern and also cloth. I have also been told that a plastic back window is correct and that a glass back window is proper.

Does anyone know the correct material for the top and back window? Also, what is the correct color for the interior side of the top? Finally, does anyone have suggestions for the best place to purchase these items?

Thank you for your time. Any help would be appreciated.

Attach file:

jpg  (146.12 KB)
1555_5627a0cf299cd.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (68.07 KB)
1555_5627a11dc8b20.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/10/21 9:27
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/regist
 Top  Print   

Re: 1954 Caribbean convertible top
Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
I checked with Fred on this one and here was his input on your question.

Your trim shop is sort of wrong and sort of right. 53,54,55 Caribbeans had white Orlon tops, a very fine weave synthetic fabric that did not last long in the weather. we've only seen 2 original tops ever. There is no white woven fabric available we know of and this has been discussed in this forum many times.

The regular (off ) white pinpoint vinyl is closest, late model bright whites are too stark. If you ordered a replacement top in the late 50's for a '55 (which had orlon) Packard would supply a white leather grain top as was original on '56's. In the 60's we owned a 54 regular convertible sold locally and always maintained by the selling Packard dealer, it had a white leather grain top but we don't know if it was supplied by Packard.

Thanks
James From

Kanter Auto Products

Posted on: 2015/10/21 11:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Orlon is an acrylic fabric. It was chosen because it's resistant to getting creases. A woven canvas-type does not resemble it because the gloss is so different. Vinyl will be a closer gloss match.

Posted on: 2015/10/21 11:57
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Leon "Pete"
See User information
Thank you for the information. It is very helpful. Since the pinpoint vinyl is the closest, is it fair to assume that this would not result in a point deduction if it was judged? Kanter is also sending me a sample of leather grain vinyl. Would that also be considered as close to correct as possible?
Thank you for your input.

Posted on: 2015/10/21 12:12
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/regist
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Yes, the original 1953-54 Caribbean top fabric was Orlon. For 1953 it was only white with a white underside. For 1954 it was also offered in black, but with a white underside (inside layer).

And yessss, there are all different shades of white. So keep this in mind since you won't want a blinding snow-white shade.

Yes, diamond pinpoint grain vinyl convertible topping is probably the closest you will find today to the original appearance-if you are not deeply knowledgeable about this stuff. But still you need to find material that is off-white or light tan on the inside and that is not really easy to do anymore. But it is out there. Have your trimmer contact some of the bigger, older sources in the industry for convertible top fabrics.

There is a lot of leather-grain vinyl convertible top material laying around in trim shops and fabric warehouses. But one just has to know where to look. However, I would not use this stuff on a 1954 Caribbean if you are putting it back to original appearance. Save this stuff for 1956 Caribbeans. By the way, the closest leather-grain vinyl convertible top fabric to looking like 1956 Caribbean is from Rolls Royce Corniche and was called "Everflex." It comes in with exterior with light tan inner face. But again, I would not use this stuff for a 1954 Caribbean.

As for woven white (canvas) convertible top material... yes, this stuff is also available for outrageous, insane prices and still hard to find. Worse, the inner face has European "dobby-weave" (a zig-zag pattern). It soils easily and does not have the most accurate appearance to match the original Orlon. But it is indeed around.

As for judging... who knows? That whole thing has gone haywire with what used to universally be called "customizing" now being accepted as "restoration." Every few years the standards get slacked just a little more and something that was once unacceptable gets squeezed in somehow. So I won't touch that subject.

Posted on: 2015/10/21 16:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

lstelling wrote:
We believe material to be original. It is rather worn cloth and has a plastic rear window with a heavy zipper. The color is off-white and is also off-white on the interior side.

I have been trying to buy correct material to replace the top. I have been told that the top should actually be vinyl with a diamond point pattern, vinyl with a leather grain pattern and also cloth. I have also been told that a plastic back window is correct and that a glass back window is proper.

Does anyone know the correct material for the top and back window? Also, what is the correct color for the interior side of the top? Finally, does anyone have suggestions for the best place to purchase these items?

Thank you for your time. Any help would be appreciated.

The rear backlight window should be clear vinyl...plastic. Glass is not correct. Don't do it.

The more detailed items to look for-especially if you presently have an original top on the vehicle are as follows:

? Stainless rear bow outer trim (usually missing)
? Rear bow outer trim retainer channel (also usually missing)
? Beltline stainless trim

Also, as I have said before, most people tend to jump into an old convertible and immediately want to run the top down and up. A bad no-no. Especially if the car has been sitting or the top unused for lengthy periods.

Always clean the hydraulic ram rods first! Rods should be shiny with no corrosion or black hard rings on them. Coat the clean rods with a thin rub-down of transmission fluid and let them sit overnight. Then operate the top.

Lowering a top with rusty, dirty or corroded ram rods merely tears the ram seals and eventually will result in a nasty leak.

Some things to think about.

Posted on: 2015/10/22 1:08
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved