Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
60 user(s) are online (41 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 59

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

convertible top 1940 110
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vinnie
See User information
I know I asked before about any info on the vacuum canisters rebuilding for my 1940 model 110 convertible top. Still looking for info on that subject.
New question is, does anyone have any info on the adjustment on the convertible top? Are there any shims or adjustments that will quiet down the rattle. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks Vin

Posted on: 2016/4/12 7:34
 Top  Print   

Re: convertible top 1940 110
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Vinnie;The main adj. is the header on the windshield and where the top bolts to the car. I did my 42 one side at a time,with the window up, keep moving the frame till you get an even space for the rubber seal. I had to cut the piece behind the window and lengthen it to make everything fit. As spring washers are used with each bolt and rivet.

Posted on: 2016/4/12 15:51

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vinnie
See User information
thanks for the reply. Do you have a vacuum operated top? If so did you ever rebuild the side canisters? Thanks. Vin

Posted on: 2016/4/13 7:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Yes and yes, Machine new shafts and replace seal-works great

Posted on: 2016/4/13 8:50

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vinnie
See User information
what did you replace the seals with? Did you polish up the inside of the canisters? How about the operating valve under the dash , did you replace the seal in it. Thanks, this info really helps. Vin

Posted on: 2016/4/14 7:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Vinnie; You need to take the canisters apart and see what they look like. The shaft seal can be found at a bearing supply, if the shaft is rough it needs to be replaced. The big seal is leather-mine were usable and I just cleaned the in side of the canister with fine sand paper. Lube with neatsfoot oil. Switch has no seal, just a metal slide. it is made of potmetal so be very careful with it- also used on fords,but very, very, very hard to find and expensive. Vinnie, I think this is the second time I supplied this info-you might print it.

Posted on: 2016/4/14 9:45

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vinnie
See User information
I don't remember you telling me this much detail, but I just printed it. If the leather seals need to be replaced do you know where I can get them, or make them?
Thanks again for your time. I was lucky to purchase two canisters and a spare valve for my car. Have not gotten them yet so I don't know what condition they are in, have been told that they let air in and out. If you ever need any of these items let me know.
Thanks again.
Vin

Posted on: 2016/4/14 14:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Vinnie; No worries, you are lucky to have an extra switch. The 40s have a different mount then the 41-42,all switches are the same on Packard and ford,just be careful of the potmetal. I think you should take apart one of the vacuum cans to see what they look like.

Posted on: 2016/4/14 14:45

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vinnie
See User information
I probably will have the parts in a week or two. Will let you know how things turn out. Your assistance is much appreciated. Vin

Posted on: 2016/4/14 19:12
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved