Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 165

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1947 R9A Overdrive Pinion and Cage Assembly
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Philip
See User information
Hi Everyone

Well it's come down to the wire I have all the parts for my overdrive except for the Pinion and Cage assembly. Part # 347576 Group 3.2971. I completely rebuilt the engine 4 years ago and I cannot install until I find this part. Have tried every angle with no luck, I'm getting the feeling that it will never go back together. If anyone has one or knows where I can get one I would be so grateful. Would also like to thank Gerry from Packard South West for helping me out with the other parts he was amazing.

Sincerely

Philip Griffin

Posted on: 2016/4/20 14:09
 Top  Print   

Re: 1947 R9A Overdrive Pinion and Cage Assembly
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Howdy Phil,
I recently searched the galaxy for one of those. I had luck with Sandy at Tucson Packard. Maybe he has another - if you haven't tried him already.
Mark

Posted on: 2016/4/20 15:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I picked up an NOS 347576 some years ago at Hershey for the Custom 8 I had at the time; never needed it and its traveled with the car thru a couple of resales. I very much doubt the current owner is interested in selling it but I'll ask him again. I guess it was good buy back then, I think I paid $20 for it, what's it worth today?

Posted on: 2016/4/20 15:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
From what it is sounding like, if no luck finding the pinion assy maybe it is time to think about moving to an R11. That unit would not be entirely improper for the 47. After the mid 48 introduction, R11 kits were made available to dealers for installation in older models if an owner of an R9 had suffered thru some issues and wanted to buy the kit and upgrade. You could list some of your R9 items for sale and recoup some of the cost.

Posted on: 2016/4/20 15:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Pretty sure I paid $200+ for the pinion and gear set (NOS). Like Howard says, an R11 might be the way to go, especially when the R9A is being replaced.

Am I right in thinking that when it became available, the R11 was used for all models?

Posted on: 2016/4/20 16:29
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Philip
See User information
Thanks everyone for the help. I will try Tuson Packard. Will also look into the R11 option. Had a line on one a few years ago but let it slip through my fingers.

Posted on: 2016/4/20 18:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
I have one that would be a suitable core for rebuild.
The stamped steel oil shield is missing and the pinion bearings are quite sloppy.
As far as i know the pinions and rollers for R9 and R11 are the same. Not sure about the pinion pins - length may be different.

Available for a donation to this website plus shipping cost.

PM me for more information

Attach file:

jpg  (71.63 KB)
1137_57181f64743c9.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (46.41 KB)
1137_57181f8d7a4f2.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (29.64 KB)
1137_57181faca8e6e.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2016/4/20 19:32
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Philip
See User information
Thanks so much Brian. I found a place in Ohio that can rebuild these, I was talking to Rich at Northwest transmission and he said that he would have no problem with the rebuild. I think with the parts from my 3 gear set and your 4 gear set I should be able to come up with a working assembly. I would of course pay for shipping and would be more than willing to donate to this site as the members here have been more than helpful with all the questions I have had. Just send me a note and we can work out the details.

Sincerely

Philip Griffin

Posted on: 2016/4/21 10:24
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Philip
See User information
Just finished having Northwest Transmission rebuild my overdrive and Transmission and they did a great job thanks to the pinion and cage assembly provided by Brian Deboeck in Calgary. also found out that the three gear and four gear pinion and cage assembly are interchangeable. The only issue I had with Northwest transmission is they lost my original Packard transmission manual. If anyone has a replacement let me know. It's been a long process 2 years to locate all the parts and get it done. Would like to thank all of those on this site that helped make it happen and provide a source for parts.
I have just located 3 parts cars a 47, 48 and a 1949 so if anyone needs parts let me know and I will see what I can do.

Cheers

Philip

Posted on: 2018/7/16 11:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't know if it is the same book that was lost but John Ulrich has reprints of the transmission and overdrive training manual.http://julrichpackard.com/clutch_transmission.htm He also has one of the reprints currently listed on ebay. The trans is also well covered in the 46-50 service manual.

Dwight Heinmuller has reprints of the R9 Econo-drive training manual and the 46-50 Electromatic clutch training manual.http://www.packardparts.org/products/books

Posted on: 2018/7/16 12:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved