Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
197 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 196

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Packard stories
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Found a story about someone buying a 37 115 coupe and have chance to buy it back 20 years later.
http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/car-of-the-week/car-week-1937-packard-115-business-coupe

Posted on: 2016/5/2 20:54
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard stories
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Went to a local carshow today, didn't even have a chance to really clean the car but still got "best in show".

The best story I got today was a gentleman telling me that his family used to live in a dry county and his father got caught several times when he would come home with a big load of beer cause the car was squatted down so much because of the weight. To overcome this he bought a brand new 54 Packard Patrician with torsion level so you couldnt see it was loaded!

Posted on: 2017/6/24 17:16

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I guess we can cut him some slack. He was off by a year and I have trouble remembering that far back too.

I do remember mom having a standing order for Schlitz beer to one of my uncles who was in Hale county Texas -- also dry at the time. We didn't have a TL Packard so she must have used some discretion in the amount or judicious packing or maybe cops just didn't bother to stop ladies with kids in the car. There would usually be a visit once or maybe twice a year and I know she fulfilled the orders.

Posted on: 2017/6/24 17:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
He was by Slaton just south of Lubbock.

Posted on: 2017/6/24 18:48

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Moms family was mostly in Petersburg, also a few miles from Lubbock.

Posted on: 2017/6/24 18:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard5687
See User information
... hee hee ...
I grew up in Lubbock. In those days, alcohol sales in Texas were voted in precinct by precinct. Only 1 precinct in Lubbock County was wet. The Slaton Highway cut through it. There were rows of liquor stores with drive-through windows alongside Slaton Highway. At 18, I was buying beer on "The Strip" as it was called, without my ID being checked.

All through Texas in that time, farm communities settled by German Catholic or Lutheran families usually voted their precincts to be "wet." My maternal grandparents lived in Tulia, about 72 miles north of Lubbock on U.S. 87. West of Tulia was Nazareth, a German Catholic farm community, and yes, it was wet. Every Friday and Saturday night, the road between Tulia and Nazareth would be busy with "pilgrims traveling to the Holy Land," a.k.a. Nazareth, to get their beer for the weekend.

I remember Temperance parades in Lubbock every time a vote would come up to allow alcohol sales in one more precinct. The parade would be peopled with Baptista and bootleggers - and many of the bootleggers were Baptists.

Here I recount My First Time (to drive 100 mph) - it was on the road to "the Holy Land":https://56packardman.com/2015/09/08/gear-head-tuesday-my-first-time-to-drive-100-mph-that-is/

Speaking of Lubbock and Packards, does anyone recall the name of the Packard dealer on Texas Avenue? The Lubbock Packard dealers listed here on Packard Info don't ring any bells for me. What I remember is Cole's on the west side of Texas Avenue, but I can't find anything here or at the Packard Club website to confirm it.

Posted on: 2017/6/25 21:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard5687
See User information
<i>'37 115 Business coupe"</i>

My maternal grandfather found a '37 115 business coupe in a barn, got it running and kept it for a time.

In the summer of 1956, I was nine years old and already a Packard nut. I was visiting my grandparents when I heard the news on the radio, station KGNC, Amarillo, that Packard was closing. I started crying. I gathering some rags, found a can of Simonize wax in a closet and went out and started waxing my grandfather's Packard, still bawling my eyes out.

I recount that here
https://56packardman.com/2017/06/06/gear-head-tuesday-the-man-who-loves-packards/

and here

https://56packardman.com/2017/06/13/gear-head-tuesday-the-man-who-loves-packards-part-ii/

A 115-C was the first car across the Golden Gate Bridge when it opened in 1937:
https://56packardman.com/2017/05/30/gear-head-tuesday-a-golden-gate-packard/

A photo of that car is below:

Attach file:

png  (1,002.02 KB)
13111_5950786ed6e01.png 1108X598 px

Posted on: 2017/6/25 21:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
My 55 constellation is the same colors and a texas car....wondering....could have been Hayhurst's car.... maybe. Who knows.

Posted on: 2017/6/25 22:04
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard5687
See User information
I've often wondered what happened to that car. When I've seen posts about your Constellation at PackardInfo, I've wondered if yours might have been his car.

I also wonder what happened to the '57 Clipper wagon that was in Tulia. Most likely it has been scrapped, but it was, as I recall, a farmer's car - so who knows? It might be rotting in a barn somewhere.

Posted on: 2017/6/25 22:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
KGNC is still in Amarillo, it's a country station.

I have some customers in the Nazareth area and it's still a strong German community. The Catholic church is still the only church in town.

Posted on: 2017/6/25 22:13

Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved