Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
243 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 243

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'56 Heater core removal
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Heptig
See User information
I'm trying to remove the heater core from my '56 Clipper, I need some help from someone who may have done this, I tried removing the screws around the top of the metal enclosure ont to realize there may be hardware on the backside by the firewall that is not going to be reachable. Looking closer there are 4 screws that attach the Heater Core Enclosure to the air plenum below it so I removed those, and then noted there is a L Bracket that secures the enclosure to the firewall on the right side so I removed that also. I've tried pulling up on the enclosure, does not seem to want to come out so questions:

- I'm hoping there is no hardware that would require dash disassembly is that needed?
- Having removed the hardware shown should this thing come off, have I missed something?

Attach file:

jpg  (23.69 KB)
3015_573c960d5a10c.jpg 600X337 px

jpg  (17.92 KB)
3015_573c961dbbba1.jpg 600X337 px

jpg  (54.00 KB)
3015_573c962a4ea76.jpg 600X1067 px

Posted on: 2016/5/18 11:21
ClassicCrusier
 Top  Print   

Re: '56 Heater core removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The heater must be removed as a complete unit then disassembled: In addition to the L=bracket at the top, the unit is held to the the firewall with 3 or 4 bolts with 1/2 inch heads. You will see that the back end of the air duct is welded to a flat plate. That plate is bolted to to the firewall. You will also need to take off the control cable for the flapper.

Posted on: 2016/5/18 11:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And a suggestion when putting it back together is to leave out the two sheet metal screws at the top next to the firewall. That way if it ever has to come out again the other accessible screws can be removed and the top of box will lift off to access the core..

There is also a gasket between the plate and firewall. If bolts are removed it is possible the gasket is sticking and equally possible if it was ever removed before that someone used an adhesive type caulk instead of a gasket for sealing.

Posted on: 2016/5/18 12:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Heptig
See User information
Thanks for the response are the bolts you mentioning accessible in the engine bay?

I see a edge of a triangle shaped bracket on the left side of the box with a 1/2 inch cap screw that goes into the firewall is that one of them?

I not seeing other hardware, are the other screws under the box?

Posted on: 2016/5/18 12:16
ClassicCrusier
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Its been a long time since I took one out but from memory the screws are all accessible from engine side. There are two cap screws for sure and I think there may be a third in the area with arrow and question marks but won't swear to it.

Attach file:

jpg  (104.25 KB)
209_573ca5071d172.jpg 896X794 px

Posted on: 2016/5/18 12:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Heptig
See User information
Thanks I can feel one on the left below the heater control valve hoses and the up underneath on the right side as you were not quite sure on, will start wrenching, and I will leave the sheet metal screws out of the back, engineers could helped out with a slot/tab arrangement, but that's the ways stuff goes I guess, thanks for the help!

Posted on: 2016/5/18 12:45
ClassicCrusier
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
engineers could helped out with a slot/tab arrangement, but that's the ways stuff goes I guess,

Agreed but Packard had improved a lot by the time V8s hit the road. Be thankful you are not working on one of the earlier units. Those also have the inaccessible screws but unit is held with studs that go thru the firewall. Part of the interior duct mechanism has to come off to access the nuts & taking those units off if the nuts have rusted has sometimes resulted in people learning new words just for the occasion.

Posted on: 2016/5/18 13:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved