Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
201 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 200

JW49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

where to start with 'the wiper dilemma'
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
I have posted a few questions and find the willingness of others to help is extraordinary on this site. many thanks. As my 'handle' denotes, I am new at this - it is my first collectible car ever and I am on a very steep learning curve. I am, however progressing... now at the 'windshield wiper stage' on my '39 Six and simply - they don't work. I have read in the FAQ's that it is a vacuum motor and it looks like electric wires leading from the dash switch. Can anyone give me a starting point here? Are there any obvious 'probables' to check?? I understand there is a repair guy out there for the vacuum units; how can one check to see if that is the issue? Any help much appreciated.

Posted on: 2016/6/12 16:39
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Re: where to start with 'the wiper dilemma'
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The junior models had electric wipers in 40 but not sure about 39. If electric was not standard in 39 and that is what you have it is possible someone converted -- possibly by adding a later unit or, there were also some aftermarket J. C. Whitney 6v electric motors available up thru the 70s and maybe 80s for the purpose. I used one of those Whitney motors to convert wipers for a friend on his 39 120.

Is the under dash area clear enough in the middle you could get your head under and far enough back to visually see what is there?

The vacuum motor will be a zinc colored die cast semicircular affair basically all in the center under the switch and electric will have a mechanism in the center with a black electric motor extending off the end.

Here are a couple of photos as if looking thru a transparent car. These are the two factory offerings. Anything else would most likely be aftermarket.

Attach file:

jpg  (75.84 KB)
209_575df6da1d5b0.jpg 656X834 px

jpg  (99.81 KB)
209_575df6e39c41f.jpg 1680X862 px

Posted on: 2016/6/12 18:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved