Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 218

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Custom Bodied 734 Packards
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

I recall reading a article on the 734 models in either The Packard Cormorant or The Classic Car (anyone recall which publication and what issue?)

Of the details, the production numbers for each body style were listed including 11 or 13 chassis that went to coachbuilders.

I've never seen any period photographs of the resulting cars, but really want to know what they were.

If someone can direct me to a source with photographs of even one I would be very grateful.

If all the custom bodies are know, listed and pictured that would be great.

Thanks for reading this and whatever help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Posted on: 2008/11/17 19:57
 Top  Print   

Re: Custom Bodied 734 Packards
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
That's news to me about so many "custom" 734 Speedsters (I'm assuming you mean different than the custom bodies that they were delivered with). I've never heard about this.

However, I am familiar with the roadster that C.A. Leslie owned in Texas, which was not of normal roadster configuration.

In addition, I'm familiar with a couple of Speedsters that were customized as they took on later year styling by the factory. One such vehicle was a boattail that kept getting updated, finally ending up looking similar to a LeBaron boattail of 1934, pontoon fenders and V12 engine included. That car's whereabouts is not known.

The other car updated by the factory was a phaeton, still existing and formerly in the Otis Chandler collection. It also was modified to feature the LeBaron-style pontoon fenders, V-windsheild and V12 engine. It was a beautiful restoration, but the old-style body with the V-windshield and pontoon fenders looked kind of funny in my opinion. I believe it is currently listed as a 1934 1108 model, rather than a 734 Speedster.

You've piqued my interest on this. I hope to learn more about Custom Speedsters.

Posted on: 2008/11/18 8:29
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
West, I agree. To the best of my knowledge the 7-34 wasn't available as a "chassis only" so in the traditional sense there couldn't have been any customs other than what Macauley might have kept and fiddled with at the factory as already noted.

Posted on: 2008/11/18 9:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Thanks for your insights, I have yet to find the reference but I am sure that I read it in one of those publications. Just have to keep looking.

I noted it as it was the first time I found any indication the chassis was available to coachbuilders.

Where the factory supplied bodies built in-house but as a semi-custom operation?

Steve

Posted on: 2008/11/18 19:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
To answer the last question, the bodies for the 7-34 Speedster series were built in-house and carried "Body by Packard" or something similar on the body plates.

Separately, West Peterson and I have been talking about the 6th series Speedsters and again I apologize for deviating from the theme of the this post, but I did go back and find the article from 1979 written by Dick Langworth and the Henry Ford Museum about those cars. The enclosed photo is from the Henry Ford Museum archives. The article states that less than 50 6th series (6-26) Speedsters were made and this one is the sole survivor (Ed: as of that time, I understand there may now be other survivors). It was sold to an Emil Fikar of Berwin, Illinois on 6 October 1928 for $5200; only two accessories were noted on the invoice, chrome wire wheels at $250 and goddess of speed radiator cap at $10. Though of course it was built on the Standard Eight chassis and used a modified Standard Eight body, it had the 385 cubic inch DeLuxe Eight engine, thus one of the earlier of the "muscle cars". Hope you enjoy the picture, sorry for the fold, it was a centerfold pic.

Attach file:

jpg  (101.63 KB)
177_49235c10b9051.jpg 1280X881 px

Posted on: 2008/11/18 19:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
The body plate on the Speedsters reads "Custom by Packard." They had established their own custom body shop. If I recall from a story I wrote about the 1934 LeBarons, those were also built in Packard's custom body shop.

Posted on: 2008/11/19 9:31
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved