Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 226

Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

23rd Series Blower Switch removal
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike Burkhart
See User information
I am needing to change the blower switch on my 1949 Custom 8. I cannot figure out how to remove the front button from the switch assembly. Looking on the underside of the button, it looks like a spring with some type of keeper. I would like to have someone tell me how to get the button off. I can get it from there, as there is just one nut to unscrew and 2 wires to disconnect.
All help appreciated!!
Thanks,
Mike

Posted on: 2016/8/11 15:32
Proudly using my real name for 67 years.
 Top  Print   

Re: 23rd Series Blower Switch removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The knobs are fixed to the chrome dash bezel and do not come off to remove the switch. To remove an individual switch you remove the entire switch plate assy working from behind the dash and remove the switch from the plate.

If typical, start by removing the ventilation control assy from the dash edge and move that assy aside to provide working room. The switch plate assy is held by two barrel nuts and once those are removed, if the loom is free to move, the plate holding the switches will slide back and then tip down so you can remove the nut holding a particular switch.

Check for any clamps holding the wire loom and be careful not to stress or bend the wiring too much. If you still have the old loom it will probably be hard and stiff and the insulation will be brittle and can easily crack and fall off. Also be careful pulling the bullet connectors out of the switch assy. The connectors could be held very securely and pulling the wire portion without holding the part attached to the phenolic board on the switch can result in the terminal breaking off the phenolic.

Here are a couple of photos of the assy courtesy of BDeB. The barrel nuts holding the switch plate assy are indicated via the red arrows.

Attach file:

jpg  (164.99 KB)
209_57ace6363ee26.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (210.27 KB)
209_57ace6458a6c6.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2016/8/11 15:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: 23rd Series Blower Switch removal
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike Burkhart
See User information
HH56,
Thank you so much for the great instructions and the pictures. You helped me a bunch. Can't be any clearer than that! This will make the job so much easier.
Thanks to Dr. John, too, for the nice piece!
Thanks,
Mike

Posted on: 2016/8/12 8:27
Proudly using my real name for 67 years.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved