Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
255 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 254

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Digital Temperature Gauge
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
I want to add an external digital temp gauge on my 37 115. I want to hide the gauge out of obvious sight. Has anyone added one of these and have any suggestions what works the best , etc.

Posted on: 2016/8/17 15:22
 Top  Print   

Re: Digital Temperature Gauge
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think you could hide the gauge without too much problem. You could put it out of sight under a fender or another item in the engine compt or under the dash in a flip up or swing away panel if you want it inside. The bigger issue is how you are going to do the sensor so it can be in an area with a constant flow of water circulating around it and not in some isolated cold or hot pocket. Trying to add the new sensor with a tee to the original location will result in minimal or no circulation to both sensors and a probably inaccurate reading on both.

There are some who have installed a tee in the heater hose for an additional sensor. That is an easy option that can be partially hidden but only works if the water circulates thru the heater all the time. There are ready made adapters for the radiator hose but the dimensions on the port may not fit the specific sensor for your thermometer. Also most of the adapters seem to be made for a hose size much smaller than ours and the real downside is the location is very out in the open and obvious.

I added another analog gauge to the 47 using a modified radiator hose approach. Made a custom adapter out of aluminum to fit under the radiator hose outlet on the head. The sensor is in the water as it flows under and to the thermostat. It is sort of out of sight although you can see the sensor if you look. Mine is less visible than the photo would indicate because the AC compressor helps hide it.

Downside to my approach is it is another of those locations that work better on some cars than others. If yours has the thermostat external to the head in the outlet fitting it works well. It can sense water temp before the thermostat opens so you can see more closely what is happening rather than having to wait for the thermostat to open to provide flow as would be the case in the ready made hose adapters.

Attach file:

jpg  (69.24 KB)
209_57b4d0944d35c.jpg 753X872 px

jpg  (116.91 KB)
209_57b4d0a1ed561.jpg 1280X860 px

Posted on: 2016/8/17 16:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thank you Howard,I like what you did, The probe is threaded into the aluminum, does it seal okay or did you add sealant to the threads. Thank you for the photos. I want to mount the gauge so I can swing it out from under the dash and hide it when necessary.

Posted on: 2016/8/17 16:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I used the 1/4" NPT adapter that came in the universal gauge kit because it was a US standard size and I could easily find a pipe tap. Drilled and threaded the 1" think aluminum block for that size. It was a snug fit but used teflon tape on the adapter anyway. The sensor threads into the adapter and that has a finished flare like surface so no sealant was needed on that connection. Standard outlet gaskets on top and bottom of the adapter and longer studs/bolts for the head finished the conversion.

Posted on: 2016/8/17 17:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved