Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 205

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Third brake light
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

FREDERICK E WILEY
See User information
I know this could be a sacralige but has anyone added a third brake light in your rear window for safety reasons.?I know they can be mounted temporarily and removed for show.Any reccomendations , where purchased, etc. Thanks

Posted on: 2016/9/20 16:11
Fred in Florida

1948 Deluxe Eight Sedan 2262
 Top  Print   

Re: Third brake light
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't have any direct experience with the item but IIRC, at least one person on the forum has installed the brake light from this company.http://www.jandlenterprise.com It is thin and probably weighs very little. It mounts with suction cups or adhesive but if you wanted to remove it for shows, I would think a disconnect plug in the cable located near the light would make that possible. I am not that fond of suction cups long for term holding power but maybe fabricating a bracket so some small but strong magnets could hold the light to the garnish molding would make removal easy.http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com

Another option might be to get one of the license plate frame brake lights. Those come if quite a few styles but I don't know if any of them are available for 6v.

Posted on: 2016/9/20 16:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I put a 3rd brake light on my 38. I mounted it on my license plate. BTW show judges don't deduct for safety features.

Posted on: 2016/9/20 18:32
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I've wanted to do that for a long time, but I have my own idea and it entails some work.

Posted on: 2016/9/20 20:48
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

FREDERICK E WILEY
See User information
Guys, I did order a third brake light from J and L. I ordered it Friday afternoon and it was here on Wednesday by priority mail. It is installed, 6 volt car. I ordered the type that is supposed to show a brake light and then flash left or right when turning. Mechanic said he could not get it to do both but at least I have additional brake light for safety.

Posted on: 2016/10/8 13:49
Fred in Florida

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looking at the schematic of the Brakelighter, it connects to the wires feeding the brake lights at the bulbs.

If your car is stock, the 48 22nd series has the older non integrated style turn signals. That is a completely separate circuit from the brakes having separate bulbs in the rear for the signal function. Brake lights are on another bulb so it would be hard to have the single 3rd light do both functions. If you want the turnsignals up high as well as the third brake, I believe it would take another unit mounted with the third brake light. That second unit would be connected to the signal bulbs and would only function with the signals.

If your car was a 23rd series or later, the turnsignals are integrated into the brake light circuit via the turnsignal switch and share the same bulb filament. On those cars the Brakelighter would work as described.

Posted on: 2016/10/8 14:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

FREDERICK E WILEY
See User information
Howard, this is what my mechanic said but you explained it much better. Yes, my car is a 22nd series. If anyone is interested this appears to be a good safety option for our cars.

Posted on: 2016/10/8 16:58
Fred in Florida

Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved