Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 212

Ozstatman, moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

I never see any reference to the HEATER or parts
Home away from home
Home away from home

Brenda
See User information
I've look everywhere and I can't seem to find any reference to the heater. Can someone direct me?

Posted on: 2017/5/2 22:34
1953 Packard Clipper Deluxe
She starts on the first crank in the morning and purrs like a kitten all day.
 Top  Print   

Re: I never see any reference to the HEATER or parts
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
What kind of reference? If you mean service there is none other than some installation instructions in the accessory section of the 51-4 service manual and a small amount on adjusting the cables in Feb 1951 Service Counselor Vol25 #2. Operating instructions are in the owners manual. There is no parts illustration for the 51-4 but there are a few part numbers of the components in the accessory section of parts manual. All are available for download here on the site.

Posted on: 2017/5/2 22:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brenda
See User information
I guess I was looking elsewhere. Thank you.

Posted on: 2017/5/3 1:39
1953 Packard Clipper Deluxe
She starts on the first crank in the morning and purrs like a kitten all day.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
One thing about Packard is many if not most accessories like heaters were treated as afterthoughts as far as any real information being provided. That is why I was asking about which information you needed. Some accessories could be serviced by a third party directly or else removed from the car by the dealer and sent to specialized shops so not much info was offered to mechanics to repair in house.

If it was something that might be sold and installed by a dealer then some install info was provided in separate sheets of paper and templates that came with the accessory. Those papers generally never made it into the regular service and parts manuals so much info that was on the individual papers has not surfaced.

The heater install info is one item that did make it to a manual but no instructions on how to completely disassemble or remove individual pieces out of the assembly are available to my knowledge. There is a smattering of accessory detail info Packard made available in service counselors if a persistent problem showed up that could be addressed by the dealer.

Posted on: 2017/5/3 8:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

GDurgin
See User information
Dear fellow Packard owners,

I have a 1950 Packard Club Deluxe with a 288 cid. Does anyone have any diagrams or suggestions for removing the heater box assembly that houses the heater core and other parts where the heater hoses route into? I am going to be changing the entire manifold assembly and need to remove the heater box assembly to access it (after removing the inner fender cover). Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

GDurgin
Oakland

Posted on: 2018/3/29 18:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
It is not necessary to remove the heater in order to remove the manifold. After unbolting the manifold, slide it away from the engine just enough to get it past the short studs. Then lift it straight up till it is just above the long studs. Move it forward out from under the heater and then up and out of the car.

Posted on: 2018/3/29 19:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And if you do decide to remove the heater anyway, the entire assy is held to the firewall by studs with nuts and washers inside the plenum door box on the interior under the dash. There could be a small bracing bracket or two on the engine side held to the firewall with a sheetmetal screw that needs to come loose too.

After disconnecting the blower wires, water hoses, and air duct hose to the fender air duct opening on the engine side, remove 3-4 screws holding the front half of the plenum and door section to the rear half and manipulate that front half of the box so it clears edges on the rear half mounting portion. After moving the front half aside you should be able to see the nuts that need to remove. The rear half sandwiches the firewall between it and the heater box.

In the photos, the red arrow shows the studs, green arrow shows the rear half of door box and blue arrow shows the part that comes off to access the nuts..

Attach file:

jpg  (46.20 KB)
209_5abd94d9f2c6f.jpg 766X604 px

jpg  (171.72 KB)
209_5abd94ec4dca4.jpg 1200X1600 px

jpg  (159.56 KB)
209_5abd94fab92ee.jpg 1200X1600 px

Posted on: 2018/3/29 20:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

GDurgin
See User information
Thank you for the responses. This is very helpful.

Posted on: 2018/3/30 10:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
The hardest part of working on the heater in my series 23 Deluxe 8 was installing the fresh air flexible hose on the rectangular metal barb. My hose was broken and old so I bought one to replace it. The hose supplied by a Packard parts source was round and had to the shaped and forced onto the rectangular barb. For an old guy with arthritis in the hands the job was impossible. I finally hired a mechanic to install the hose and after lots of attempts he finally got it on.

I suggest you try to install the square end of the hose before putting the unit back in the car if the hose needs replacing.

Posted on: 2018/3/30 12:14
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved