Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
241 user(s) are online (173 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 239

John Wogec, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Anonymous
1955 Clipper custom with 2 four barrel engine
I recently just bought a 55 clipper with the two four barrels engine and the story I got is that that engine was only in the convertable and that the guy ordered this engine put in it special.Does anybody think this is true or did some come factory with that carb setup?

Top  Print   

Re: 1955 Clipper custom with 2 four barrel engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Check the serial number near the oil filler neck to see if it matches the serial number of the car.

Posted on: 2007/5/25 21:38
 Top  Print   

Anonymous
Engine numbers do match vin plate.thanks

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Dual four barrels were an option and Packard would sell you any option. Consider yourself lucky as that is a unique auto.
What color is the block and intake manifold?

Posted on: 2007/6/10 15:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
I am resurrecting this thread because I too have a Clipper with the 374 and 2 fours. The story I got was that the original owner was a Packard employee and he put the 374 2 fours in the Clipper. I thought I had a cobbled up hot rod. Now I am going to check the numbers and see.

Posted on: 2008/1/29 13:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
OK, I'll ask again. What color is the block and manifold? The dual fours need to have a different valley cover also. There is a flattened area on the road draft tube to clear the underside of the manifold.

Posted on: 2008/1/29 14:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Until such time as someone can produce a piece of Packard literature that states that the dual quads were an option on cars other than the Caribbeans, I'd have to see it noted on the build slip to believe that it was original to the car. I have no doubt that some dealers bought the required parts from the factory and made the conversion to satisfy a demanding customer (anything to see a car in those last days); in the absence of a dealer invoice showing this, I think it most likely that the conversions were done after the cars were sold -- certainly the parts were available from SP and then SASCO for many years. Until such time as that piece of factory information legitimatizing dual quads on non-Caribbeans surfaces, the only cars that should have them are engines with the Utica plant "C" prefix.

Posted on: 2008/1/29 15:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I can't fault Owen's logic and that is why I keep asking the color of the block and intake. Also does the car in question have the proper shields, or didn't the dealer know enough to order them??

Posted on: 2008/1/29 16:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Anyone really interesting in knowing if their 55 or 56 non-Caribbean came from the factory with dual quads, they should contact the Studebaker Museum and spend the money to get a copy of the original build or shipping slip which will list all the options on the car as built. Many but certainly not all of the documents are available. It would be extremely enlightening to all of us if one surfaced which showed the dual carburetion on the build slip!!!

Posted on: 2008/1/29 23:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Owen
The Studebaker museum angle is an avenue I will take, a bit down the road. First an foremost I need to get it running. I am by no means at this time claiming the car to be original. I hope I did not give that impression. Actually from the story I got from the man I bought it from quite the opposite. My impression from him was that it was put together by the original owner who was a Packard employee.

Posted on: 2008/1/30 9:00
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved