Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
252 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 251

DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

51 wiper tensioner
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Does anyone have a 51-4 wiper cable tensioner that is out of the car or in a partially disassembled car that can be easily viewed. I am trying to help a fellow on the PAC forum but don't have a tensioner to look at and tell him exactly how to lock it in the relaxed position. I believe 51-4 are the same but they are different from 48-50 tensioners and from 55-6 units.

The manual says to push the tensioner and insert a pin thru the holes but there is only one hole visible. On 55-6 there are two holes visible and when the tensioner is in the relaxed position it is obvious how the pin inserts to lock it. The item that appears to be a rivet head on the stationary plate is the puzzler and I think where the hole should be. He says both sides are the same. I am wondering if that rivet like piece appears on all or if there is a hole in the back side and if so, how one is supposed to hold the tensioner while reaching around to insert a pin..

Here is a photo of what he is working with.

Attach file:

jpg  (118.42 KB)
209_5a1b17a95ee2e.jpg 1431X1708 px

Posted on: 2017/11/26 14:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: 51 wiper tensioner
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I have quite a few of these in my shop but unfortunately it is hundreds of miles away. Therefore, from memory, I seem to recall that the pin does not go through anything on the stationary plate with the pin resting against its edge. I don't recall anything that blocks it from going through both tangs on the pivoting piece. Is that where you're saying there is a rivet?

Posted on: 2017/11/26 14:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
There is a single hole for a pin in the stationary plate that is hidden from view in the photo.
The rivet is for the spring leaf pack that engages ratchet teeth on the pulley plate.
Pushing forward on the other end of the spring leaf pack will release the ratchet and allow the pulley plate to be pivoted back against tension from the spiral spring for the holes to line up.
Very hard to do with the pulley assembly in the car. Best to take it out by removing the 2 hex head retaining screws that are accessible from the engine compartment and insert a pin on the bench.

Posted on: 2017/11/26 15:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is what the instruction say from the 56 manual which is almost word for word to the 51-4. The hole in the movable part is visible but I cannot remember what the pin inserts thru or presses against to block against the spring.

It has been so many years since I last messed with one but I remember using a nail as a pin thru the hole and how strong the spring was trying to hold things in position to insert the pin.

I believe that movable part is the same on the 55-6 tensioners. Unfortunately with the factory AC evaporator box in my 56 I cannot even see the tensioners let alone get a camera in to take a photo.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.93 KB)
209_5a1b2930ec95a.jpg 646X294 px

Posted on: 2017/11/26 15:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Here are photos of the right side tensioner from 1952 and 1955 models.
The basic tensioner works the same for both but is attached to a separate casting for 1955.

Attach file:

jpg  (107.95 KB)
1137_5a1b5c6ca738e.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (113.89 KB)
1137_5a1b5c88606e7.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (110.23 KB)
1137_5a1b5ca2206f5.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (103.78 KB)
1137_5a1b5cb722dc8.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2017/11/26 19:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks very much. I will post the photo of the rear view and your answer in the fellows thread at PAC. The manual doesn't mention removing before pinning and I know I did not take mine out before pinning when releasing the tension when taking the blade pivots out so I wonder if someone drilled a hole thru at some point. I used a nail as a pin and inserted from the dash side. Only hard thing I can remember was how sharp the pulleys were and how strong the spring was but am sure I would have remembered working from the hidden side. The "rivet" I am wondering about seems like it would be just about where the hole should be if it came thru.

Attach file:

jpg  (125.19 KB)
209_5a1b673ebc772.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2017/11/26 19:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved