Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 210

Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Stabilizer bushing clip
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
RE: 1951 Packard 200

Getting the end bushing clip back in place is a lot harder than getting it off. Checking the service manual it shows a installation tool being used. Using the search feature on this website had some information but nothing I could use.
Has anyone replaced this bushing clip without the tool?

Posted on: 2017/12/4 14:39
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Re: Stabilizer bushing clip
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It really helps to have a tool because the clips are spring steel and very brittle. The short tangs that fit in the slots in the A arm will break off if they twist or have a lot of sudden sideways force applied as can happen if something slips. I think they would break anyway even if you just gave them a hard look but no need to temp fate.

I used an ordinary C clamp to kind of duplicate the tool. This one measures right at 3 1/2 inches at the jaw opening. Ground the middle of the fixed jaw to form a sort of notch and made the retainer for the tangs out of some scrap angle iron. A couple of screwdrivers or some scrap flat stock would also work -- just something to keep the tangs from being pushed back in the slots.

My version works but if I were going to revise it I would make the groove a tad wider to get a better fit on the rounded surface of the clip. Cost was minimal for the C clamp and add a few minutes time.

Attach file:

jpg  (75.92 KB)
209_5a25cf2980cd1.jpg 1280X686 px

Posted on: 2017/12/4 17:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved