Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
34 user(s) are online (22 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 34

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

How do you stabilize original 56 paint?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Scott Bluestein
See User information
I have a 56 Caribbean with original paint. Unfortunately, the paint on the trunk is starting to crack and may falling off. I want to preserve the original paint and prevent it from falling off. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

Scott.

Attach file:

jpeg  (113.29 KB)
154412_5b762659f07f6.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (132.70 KB)
154412_5b7626f09861b.jpeg 1920X1440 px

jpeg  (189.77 KB)
154412_5b76270c4dd94.jpeg 2048X1536 px

Posted on: 2018/8/16 20:36
 Top  Print   

Re: How do you stabilize original 56 paint?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I wonder if the linseed oil method Hank used to cover the old horribly weathered junkyard paint on his 55 to give it the patina he wanted is sticky enough and would work to hold down the larger flakes and keep them from falling off. Not sure how you would get the lifted flakes to lie flat and stay while things dried though.

You might check out his project blog starting around page 155 and read for the next 10-12 pages or sohttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=124546#forumpost124546 to see the start of the application and polishing -- lots of work and somewhat involved -- but the shiny results and hard finish are surprisingly amazing. The condition of the original finish is shown in quite a few photos in the pages prior and finished results a few pages after.

Barring that maybe clear gloss synthetic enamel would stabilize yet not destroy the original nitrocellulose lacquer. Getting the old finish clean enough for a new coat to stick using either method might do the damage you are trying to avoid.

Posted on: 2018/8/16 21:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
There are many different options that you can try. There are many companies that make a patina preservers such as Eastwood basically it's a top coat that you put over the paint to try to encapsulate the checking and cracking areas. Another option is repainting the trunk and blending it into the original paint. There are paint shops that do still mix lacquer such as Hibernia auto restoration.

unfortunately any which way you look at it eventually you probably are going to have to repaint it. It is very difficult to reduce or stop the checking.

Thanks

James

Posted on: 2018/8/18 23:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Picture 2..looks like rust..I would be more concerned about neutralizing the rust

Then saving the paint.

Posted on: 2018/8/19 8:59
Riki
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved