Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 208

Jim in Boone, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1950 convertible top
Home away from home
Home away from home

jsa03781
See User information
So my top is actually quite slow in raising. I'm thinking it might be down in hydraulic fluid. I've search this site to see what information I can find but I'm lost. Anyone have any links or info you can point me to. Thanks.

Posted on: 2018/8/29 18:46
1948 Custom Eight
1950 Super Eight Convertible
 Top  Print   

Re: 1950 convertible top
Home away from home
Home away from home

jsa03781
See User information
Wouldn't you know I just found it

Posted on: 2018/8/29 18:51
1948 Custom Eight
1950 Super Eight Convertible
 Top  Print   

Re: 1950 convertible top
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

jsa03781 wrote:
So my top is actually quite slow in raising. I'm thinking it might be down in hydraulic fluid. I've search this site to see what information I can find but I'm lost. Anyone have any links or info you can point me to. Thanks.

When you are checking and filling the hydraulic system for the power top, steps almost universally missed are as follows:

? Be absolutely certain to FIRST clean the ram rods for the top. They should be smooth and shiny before even attempting to lower the top. If rust is beginning to form on the shiny rods, you can use good cleaners (frankly I have had good success simply using Brillo) and then lightly wipe the rods down with a coating of clean transmission fluid (regardless of brake fluid being inside of the ram itself).

? When adding fluid, never merely top off the fluid and think that's all that is needed. Cycle the top first. Loosen the portal and check fluid level. If more fluid is needed, add. Then repeat the process.

? It may be necessary to "burp" the top hydraulic system to get any trapped excess air out completely.

? You will also want to be certain there are no hairline leaks in the hydraulic lines. These may not be obvious at all until under pressure or under suction. Even then, hairline cracks may not be obviousl

? Finally you want to check to see that the fluid has not degraded or begun to crystalize or harden in any way. This does happen and running the system repeatedly with degraded fluid will reveal slow or no operation... or uneven operation... and ultimately result in having to replace components... like the rams. Fluid needs to be fresh... and clean.

Posted on: 2018/8/29 22:05
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved