Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 159

moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Front Parking/Blinker Light Help
Home away from home
Home away from home

Pat and Melanie Westerkamp
See User information
I started taking a few pieces off to get re-chromed. I took the front parking housing off and found that the bulb socket is a permanent fixture in the housing. How in the world will i get this re-chromed if the socket is a permanent fixture in the housing?????? I am also a little confused as to how i will run the wiring up to the socket when i install my new harness.........the insulation on the wire is to brittle to solder and splice.....

Posted on: 2018/10/26 18:17

1941 Packard 110 Club Coupe Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Re: Front Parking/Blinker Light Help
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Couple of options. The original socket appears to be crimped to the support. If the existing socket shell is in good condition you could clean it well and then apply a layer of liquid tape or maybe even paint to the inside surface so the chrome doesn't get on the bulb grounding surfaces. You would need to check with the plater on what would work best and not come off or contaminate his solutions. Also need to ensure all of that substance is removed when the chroming is done. Carefully applied ordinary vinyl tape might also stick to the inside.

You can get new fiber bottoms, springs, contacts etc from places like Rhode Island wiringhttp://www.riwire.com and others. They also have some complete socket assys but not the crimp type. Check out their supplies section.

You could buy the original fabric wire but since those particular wires are short and never seen you could just use modern wire for the short lengths. On your second question it appears the wiring for the parking lights is all handled and connectors are located under the fender in an enclosure near the headlight bucket so the new loom should have everything up to that point.

If the socket shell is rusted or otherwise in poor condition you could drill it out and then install a new socket assy. Finding the original crimp type sockets might be difficult both in finding and installing. You could use a modern socket by fabricating a new support to keep the bulb in roughly the same position. Support it by screwing onto the remains of the old support or some other place in the housing. Some of the regular parts stores also have universal sockets with a tab which can screw into something for support.

Attach file:

jpg  (203.34 KB)
209_5bd3b1275dd50.jpg 1600X795 px

Posted on: 2018/10/26 19:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Talk with your plater, they deal with situations like this routinely.

Posted on: 2018/10/26 20:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Will do thx

Posted on: 2018/10/26 21:54

1941 Packard 110 Club Coupe Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved