Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
199 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 198

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Hood ornament
Just popping in
Just popping in

George D.
See User information
What should the hood ornament on a 1949 Super 8 be? I've seen a couple with the "goddess of speed" and also the swan.

Posted on: 2019/1/14 13:21
 Top  Print   

Re: Hood ornament
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There have been plenty of lively discussions on whether the "bird" was a pelican or a cormorant, Packard used both names at various times. But for sure it wasn't a swan. The available hood ornaments for a 1949 Packard whether a 22nd or 23rd Series, were the Goddess of Speed, the Cormorant, and the Egyptian. The Cormorant was the slightly more expensive, the Egyptian the least often seen.

Posted on: 2019/1/14 13:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The Cormorant sounds elegant, but it is actually a dirty bird. When I was a youngster I thought it was a swan, only to learn the truth when I began communicating with other Packard devotees. I like the Egyptian.

Posted on: 2019/1/14 14:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I have never seen this ornament on a vehicle. Packard??

Attach file:

jpg  (19.81 KB)
23_5c3ce10bdba57.jpg 508X322 px

Posted on: 2019/1/14 14:20
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Roundsy
See User information
I Don't know what kind of car that came off but I have one, in poor condition, that I bought from a friends antique shop nearly 20 years ago. It's in my garage with an extension cord hanging on it. I'll be interested to find out where it came from.

Posted on: 2019/1/14 14:52
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

George D.
See User information
Thanks for the input. I'm close to buying the Super 8 mentioned. Whenever I look up this car on the internet, it seems the "bird" is always on the hood but the one I'm interested in has the "goddess".

Posted on: 2019/1/14 15:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Many people like to "dress up" their cars by adding the cormorant whether it came with it originally or not but it's the one that draws thefts and is easy damaged by accident. The one on the car is probably the safest as far as vandalism and damage goes and looks good too.

Posted on: 2019/1/14 15:15
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

FREDERICK E WILEY
See User information
I love the "goddess of speed". My car has the "flying wing". I laugh at the story that my dad used to tell about the old lady in his town that guided the car down the road by aiming the hood ornament where she wanted to go.

Posted on: 2019/1/14 17:05
Fred in Florida

1948 Deluxe Eight Sedan 2262
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Gee, does that mean I'm not driving my 56 400 properly because I use that Missile on the hood?

Posted on: 2019/1/14 17:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
No, it means that you ARE doing it properly!

Posted on: 2019/1/14 19:24
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved