Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
191 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 189

TxGoat, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1928 533 cold starting issue with carburetor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Hello-

I have a 6 cyl with an updraft Detroit carburetor.

. When the engine is cold it does not start if I choke it even 50%. If I use the engine primer cups without any choking, it starts right up.

I always pull the spark retard all the way out and then quickly push it in as soon as the engine fires.

If I choke it, the choke only pulls out 1/2" maximum. (internally the carb is fully choked) I usually try and pull it out about 1/4" which sets the carb at about 1/2 way. Either way, if I crank if more than 3 seconds I will get gas dripping out of the lower air intake.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Posted on: 2019/4/25 16:05
 Top  Print   

Re: 1928 533 cold starting issue with carburetor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hello Gar, I have a 533 with the same carb. I also have heaps of English motorbikes. Cutting to the chase. I turn the vac tank on and lift the float needle until fuel runs out of the inlet. I then get inside and operate the starter with probably half choke and it fires right up. In my experience
( with approx 65 bikes) You have to flood the carb on all Twenties and Thirties English bikes, yes, even Brough Superiors. I would suggest that the problem is that you are retarding the ignition. Totally unnecessary as your comp ratio is approx 4.8 to 1 and you are using around 90 Octane fuel instead of around 65 Octane. And, if all else fails, what's wrong with using the priming cups? They are also great for finding a cylinder that is misfiring. Good luck. Peter Toet.

Posted on: 2019/4/26 3:09
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Peter:

I will go over to the garage and try your suggestion.

Posted on: 2019/4/27 15:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
I identified the trouble of cold starting my car. It seems that there is about a 1/32" air gap round the aux air valve. Because it doesn't seal correctly, it admits too much air into the carb when it is cold and it wont start. If I manually close this gap, it starts up on its 2nd attempt. Everytime.

The aux air valve doesn't close correctly because the cam, which pushes up against the air valve on full choke, is not hitting the bottom of valve correctly. Any suggestions on fixing this issue? Is there an adjustment on the cam that I am overlooking?

Thanks

Posted on: 2019/5/29 20:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Is there a thick gasket between the air valve assembly and the body of the carburetor that can be removed?
If its not that it would be a simply matter to build up the cam a little, its not a critical profile, its only function is to hold the air valve shut when the choke is operated

Posted on: 2019/5/29 22:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
No gasket.

I am thinking that I could make the cam push more securely against the aux air bell by adding a drop of solder on it.

Any thoughts on that?

Posted on: 2019/5/30 19:15
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved