Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 206

Mr.D, Nevada56Hudson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Head gasket - which side is up?
Just popping in
Just popping in

Roland Irle
See User information
Hi
Quick question: Following a valve lifter job i want to install a new head gasket. I have one from Merritt, which is copper clad on one side. Does the copper clad side go down to the block or up to the head?
Should probably add that the gasket has Best Gasket standing on it and the engine is a 327 cui 1954 single carb.

Thanks and greetings
Roland

Posted on: 2019/6/16 20:03
1954 Panama
 Top  Print   

Re: Head gasket - which side is up?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not imperative but best practice is for the folded flanges around the openings to face upwards (against the head). Reason is simple, if erosion occurs, it normally occurs on the folded flange side and it's easier to resurface a head than to deck a block.

Posted on: 2019/6/16 20:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Agreed but as I recall some gaskets are not quite symmetrical and may have holes slightly offset toward one side or end. Make sure yours isn't one of those because then it could only go one way.

Posted on: 2019/6/16 20:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Roland Irle
See User information
Many thanks, makes sense. I check the gasket a place it with the best fit for holes and studs.
I had coolant leaks last time, with a new gasket, which was aluminum clad on both sides. Did not use copper spray then, but will this time. Have checked the head for waves and warps, but it is all within 0,2 mm, less than 0,01 inch. Wish me luck.
Cheers
Roland

Posted on: 2019/6/18 8:02
1954 Panama
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
One major reason for having a head gasket failure shortly after replacement is the failure to re-torque the cylinder head after an hour or two of initial running. And you should check it again after perhaps 10 hours and again seasonally until it not longer requires tightening.

Posted on: 2019/6/18 9:08
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Roland Irle
See User information
Hi Owen
Will definitely do that. Thanks for the advise, the workshop manual is not very specific on this. Will write again and tell if the gasket is tight, hopefully.
Best
Roland

Posted on: 2019/6/18 10:13
1954 Panama
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved