Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
185 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 184

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Heater core fittings
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Chris R
See User information
Hello all,

I just pulled all the hoses for the heater core, to replace it all with nice fresh stuff.

I noticed that the angled fitting that comes out of the head, as well as the straight fitting coming out of the top of the water pump, are both pretty corroded.

Can these be purchased new? Or maybe a decent looking hardware store alternative?

Thanks guys,

-Chris

Posted on: 2021/3/11 20:44
 Top  Print   

Re: Heater core fittings
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You can replace the hose connections and modern fittings are available although you might not find a new fitting that looks exactly like the old one. Check out NAPAhttps://www.napaonline.com BK6601548 for the 45 degree head fitting and BK6601507 for the straight return fitting. Details accompanying the photos are confusing but once you pull up the part number full specs are at the bottom of the page. They also have a longer straight fitting for the head on those cars which use that type. If those are not to your liking then look at plumbing supply houses and Amazon for brass or steel barb type fittings that are 3/8-18 NPT thread to 5/8 ID hose.

There is every chance the old fittings are well rusted in place and will give some grief getting them out. Lots of penetrating oil and some time is suggested before trying.

Attach file:

jpg  head.jpg (22.12 KB)
209_604acefcdf75b.jpg 602X298 px

jpg  return.jpg (23.79 KB)
209_604acf0890b38.jpg 578X318 px

Posted on: 2021/3/11 21:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Chris R
See User information
Wow HH56! That's exactly what I needed! I was seriously worried that nothing would be available and I'd be stuck having to figure something out.

Also, I appreciate the advice about the penetrating oil. I'll definitely hit 'em with some Kroil and let them sit for awhile.

Thank you so much!

-Chris

Posted on: 2021/3/11 22:09
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Chris R
See User information
I was pokin around on Napa's site, and I found this one too.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NDP6601737

Part#: NOE 6601737 (incase the link ever changes)

It looks exactly like my current water pump fitting.

Just another option for other members in the future that run into this thread.

Thanks again HH56!

-Chris

Attach file:

png  Water Pump Fitting.PNG (236.39 KB)
110032_604ae4b48cd09.png 1433X460 px

Posted on: 2021/3/11 22:38
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Chris R
See User information
Update:

I ended up going with part# NOE 6601737 for the water pump. Napa had it in stock and it installed without a problem.

They didn't stock part# BK 6601548, so I had to order it. I went there today to pick it up, and it looked completely different from the image on the website. The gentleman said the online picture was old.

It now looks like the attached image. I didn't like the way it looked, so I ended up ordering this fitting from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013XU0X8W

I think it looks a lot better, but I'm not nuts about the color. The plan is to sandblast it, and paint it gray like the engine.

Anyway, thanks again for the help HH56.

-Chris

Attach file:

jpg  s-l400.jpg (15.49 KB)
110032_604d890edf1bc.jpg 400X400 px

Posted on: 2021/3/13 22:55
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved