Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
135 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 134

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

waterproof cardboard?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Does anyone know what the material was for inner panels in group 30.2970?? It appears to be some kind of waterproof cardboard, but I can't find anything to substantiate that.

Posted on: 2009/4/19 12:16
 Top  Print   

Re: waterproof cardboard?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Randy, my guess would be they were probably an asphalt impregnated cardboard. Don't know but am thinking it might have been a different formula of what they used for the door panels only thinner-- almost looked and if I recall, felt like they were a really heavy type roofing "tar paper" type material. Have seen some that had kind of de-laminated and could almost be pulled apart in layers but in the heat still felt a bit sticky.

Posted on: 2009/4/19 12:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Howard, I think you are right. It would delaminate if it got too much water and no dryout time. I have a modern panel board which i guess I will have to use, but held out hope for the original stuff as it served well in the mayfair hardtop.

Posted on: 2009/4/19 13:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Randy,

The 1951-52 models used a stamped steel panel for this same application. That would be another option if you could find a set.

Brian

Posted on: 2009/4/19 15:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Do you mean the inner door panels and package tray? These are usually made of thin masonite or thick black cardboard.

You can buy suitable black cardboard material at any good upholstery supply shop. It does not have to be an auto upholstery shop. They have 2 thicknesses, thin for kitchen chair bottoms and thick for sofas and car doors.

The masonite you get at lumber yards is usually too thick and hard to work with. The cardboard does a better job.

Put a sheet of plastic on the door before you install the door panel. Seal around the edge with mastic or calking. This is what the car manufacturers used to do. All doors leak at the window, you must have drain holes in the door and waterproof your door panels.

Another good tip is to fasten the door panel on with Velcro. This is easier than the stock clips, which are usually missing or broken. Velcro makes it easy to get a good tight fit and easy to remove and reinstall the panel if necessary.

Posted on: 2009/4/20 19:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

Rusty O\'Toole wrote:
Do you mean the inner door panels and package tray? These are usually made of thin masonite or thick black cardboard.

Randy was referring to the pieces that cover the approximately 9-1/2" square access openings in the door inner sheetmetal. These were metal for 1951-53 and tar impregnated cardboard for 1955-56 models. I'm not sure about 1954 as there is a different number in the parts book, but probably a variation on the cardboard type.

Brian

Posted on: 2009/4/21 0:28
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved