Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 111

Ozstatman, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Trim fasteners - FYI
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
If you've been doing any bodywork, you're aware the non-standard "old ones" are becoming unobtainium. Decades of plastic(nylon) has wiped out the market for steel which was the material of choice during this era.
Recently, I'm working on my other vehicle, as these '50s were "chrome-ites" and needed new clips for the abundant trim. We don't want our expensive chrome trim pieces falling off while driving! The only ones out there that would come close were the "universal" break off tab type but only come in 3/4" studs. I needed 1 1/4" for retainer clips used which span a seam.
I little ingenuity, those "studs" are pressed in now. I removed one and found out their called "self clinching studs" which are available in different sizes/lengths/thicknesses. Old ones were just rivet head screws with a square base, which are no longer made/available, similar to a carriage bolt but flat and smaller diam. so they don't turn during tightening. There's a lot of trimming to make a carriage screw fit.
I got some studs ordered from stock of the right length and they come for different thicknesses. I might be able to improvise others in place of the screws but waiting on out of stock inquiry. The ones I take out won't fit the thinner clips.
Getting increasingly difficult to go "original" in restos/repairs. Even if you find the big parts,the small parts are just not available and covid has wiped a lot of the slow sellers off the map. eg; I tried to ordered some "Au-Ve-Co" catalog items but they've obsoleted a bunch lately. The hobby shrink continues. You have to improvise, adapt and overcome, now. Plug OEM and play no longer an option.

Posted on: 2023/5/29 10:24
 Top  Print   

Re: Trim fasteners - FYI
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Can you post a link to some of the parts you're talking about?

Posted on: 2023/5/29 13:53
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Re: Trim fasteners - FYI
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Always a fly in my ointment. The stud heads I got are 0.05" too small and they slip through the hole on the large clips. About 0.1 off for the pressed area. So, no fear, I'll weld them as the only "big" head studs are 3/4" long so the availability conundrum of not measuring up. I dechromed most of the P so won't be a biggy some day there.

For our "GMO" Packard enthusiast:
https://www.jhpfasteners.com/self-clinching-fasteners/studs#1
https://auvecocatalog.com/ pg 825 item 19378

Posted on: 2023/6/5 10:50
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved