Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
171 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 170

MVS, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

E charger
Just popping in
Just popping in

hannahharstad
See User information
Hey all, my boyfriend and I like to work on our bikes and on our car when we have the time and money to upgrade. Our latest modification was installing automotive LED lighting. I was online this morning checking out some different products when I saw an electric supercharger. It was significantly cheaper than your conventional supercharger AND it said you'd increase MPG. Is this believable or a scam? Because if it worked, and gave our car torque AND less time at the pumps, I AM IN!!

Posted on: 2009/8/31 7:55
 Top  Print   

Re: E charger
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
An electric fan blowing air into the carb sounds like a scam to me, will probably be more of a restriction than anything.

Posted on: 2009/8/31 11:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I agree with Eric on this one. If you compare the output of a turbo/super-charger with this E-charger, it's like comparing a an F4/F5 Tornado with a breeze.

How many amps are needed to drive this E-charger, anyway?

Craig

Edited to have comparisons in correct order.

Posted on: 2009/8/31 15:27
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I couldn't agree more. The load on the alternator would likely more than compensate for any gain a little extra air would provide negating any small gain, if any exists at all.

Posted on: 2009/8/31 20:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
The sad part of it all is how many suckers will fall for the scam and buy one of the Echargers.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/8/31 20:41
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
These things are complete scams. They having been trying to sell those things to the import guys for years. They are right up there with magnets on your fuel lines. IMHO.

Posted on: 2009/8/31 23:04
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Predictor
See User information
Hey now, magnets work...unlike those pills for the gas tank or the screens under the carb. Just don't take away my magic spark plugs!

Posted on: 2009/9/7 10:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You guys just don't appreciate the miracles of modern science the aftermarket people have brought because Detroit couldn't do it right. Maybe one of these instead--no extra HP needed.

A few more standbys: the toilet paper oil filter, another "supercharger" that sat under the carb (until the impeller rivet broke and the guts wound up in a valve or piston), the obligatory turbo mufflers for increased engine breathing and associated 3 times increase in horsepower and mileage.

Attach file:

jpg  (62.83 KB)
209_4aa5365a65c8c.jpg 400X703 px

jpg  (124.43 KB)
209_4aa5366ea3eee.jpg 1200X484 px

Posted on: 2009/9/7 11:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Predictor
See User information
I love it! Who hasn't poured over all those old JC Whitney catalogs and marveled at all the magic bean devices? Always wondered if I equipped a single car with all of them for an increase of 10 to 20% each, if the gas tank would overflow from *producing* gasoline.

They had those surface gap spark plugs (used in aviation and some race engines...standard regular production ignition systems could barely supply enough juice to take advantage of the potential)...then there was that ignition rotor supercharger, I still have one and it made the engine run worse! Guess it supercharged all the air in the cap and made it conductive by ionizing it which led to crossfire. Sheesh

Posted on: 2009/9/9 11:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
Surface gap plugs ARE very usefull! In marine 2-sroke applications, anyway.

Most 2-stroke that run pre-mix can occasionally suck up a little extra oil that didnt get fully mixed. This is mostly prevlent in older boats with heavier oil mixtures and fixed fuel tanks that have sat long enough for the gas and oil to seperate. Surface gap plugs dont foul nearly as easily and can take the extra oil load.

Posted on: 2009/11/14 19:12
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved