Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 218

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

What's it worth
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Hi everyone,
I stumbled across this website last week and already you all have been a source of very helpfull information.
As I mentioned in another post, I'm looking for a 55/56 Packard. I have my eye on three. The one that I really could use some advise on is a '55 400.
It's a Southern California car and is in an amazing state of preservation (long term storage). The main issues it has are rust on the driver's side front floor but most importantly, the engine is "stuck". I've rebuilt engines before though never a Packard engine so I'm not overly concerned about that.
What I need to know is how high should I go with my offer?
Any thoughts, help, ideas would really be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

Jim L. in OR

Posted on: 2010/10/3 16:08
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: What's it worth
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
As far as I can figure, a very nice driver would go for 10-12,000 sooooooo working backwards, what do you have to spend to make this one a nice driver?

Sounds to me like 1,000-2,000 would be the range.....

Paint
Chrome
Tires
Interior?
Rubber (weatherstrip, grommets, bumpers, mounts, hoses, belts)
Engine
Trans
Glass
Small stuff
And your time at a buck an hour.........

Buy a good one; it's cheaper.....

Posted on: 2010/10/4 0:27
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thank you! That was really what was needed - a good dose of "reality"! I have a tendency to be a "seller's dream" and a banker's nightmare when in comes to old cars.

Thanks again,

Jim L. in OR

Posted on: 2010/10/4 2:08
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Lray55
See User information
well I know what they are worth. Whatever you feel is a good price to have a car you want. I mean thats really that. Ive seen garbage go for too much and amazing cars go for nothing at all. Or vice versa.

Anyway, since the car in question is mine, I guess Im bias. But I get to look at it everyday.

JD

Posted on: 2010/10/5 1:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Well I decided to split the difference between the advice I received (granted Llray55 might be a bit biased). The upshot is that finally, after 44 years, I am once again a Packard Owner. Next is brining it home (anybody have some advice/warnings about enclosed transport?). After that it's spending the coming winter in my garage getting to know my Packard.
The goal is by next Summer my Packard will have reached a state of "Usable Preservation" for use as a "Sunday" Driver.

Jim L. in OR

Posted on: 2010/10/6 13:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
"But I get to look at it everyday."

Ladies and gentlemen, I offer you the ultimate two sided sword.....

That said, good luck to both parties. Be sure to send us a picture for the registry as it arrives and is removed from the truck, so we can follow your efforts.......

Posted on: 2010/10/6 16:10
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Is this the car with the stuck engine? If so:

1. Get one of the cans of WD40 with the long wand.
2. Pull the spark plugs, squirt plenty of WD40 in each cylinder and loosely replace the spark plugs.
3. Pull the rocker covers and squirt WE40 on each of the valve stems where it goes into the head.
4. I remove the bottom of the bell housing and the starter. Then, with a good stout pry bar, use the flywheel ring gear teeth to pry the engine just a bit in each direction. If it doesn't move easily. Squirt in more WD40, wait a couple of days and try again.

Engines sitting outdoors for years and some moisture inside have moved with this technique. Your results may vary.

jack vines

Posted on: 2010/10/6 17:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Yes, it is and thank you for the advice. I've heard about spraying the penetrating oil of your choice through the spark plug holes and using the flywheel to budge the engine. I've also heard of using the correct socket with a "breaker bar" on the head of the bolt holding the bottom pulley. The new one for me is the great idea of removing the valve covers and spraying WD-40 (etc). on the valve train and it makes perfect sense.
Looking ahead to the future, I read somewhere that the '55 Packards used a Positive Ground electrical system. Is That correct? I don't want to screw up the electricals over something so basic.
Everyone, please keep the advice rolling in as I can definitely use it.
Also, I be sure and take lots of pictures!
Thanks to all who've helped so far,

Jim L. in OR

Posted on: 2010/10/6 20:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Congratulations on the acquisition.

Yes, 55 Packards did have pos ground. Fortunately, if stock unless the rare possibility something solid state (radio vibrator or torsion level switch replacement) has been installed in way of repair, nothing will be damaged if it was or had been reversed.

Posted on: 2010/10/6 20:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thanks! That's real good to know!

Jim L. in OR

Posted on: 2010/10/6 22:27
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved