Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
240 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 238

BigKev, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

34 starter motor removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi all,
Now that winters coming I want to do some electrical maintenance jobs on the 34 and would like to start at the starter motor.The obvious thing would be to look in the workshop manual but these seem non existant for that year, so the 1st question is:- How do I remove the motor from the car? I can only see one bolt on top of the starter motor, so is that the only fixture holding it in place?
Regards
Terry

Posted on: 2010/11/13 6:56
 Top  Print   

Re: 34 starter motor removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Hi Terry, you are correct. Just the one retaining bolt at the top side locating and locking the starter in place, and a snug fit in the crankcase casting. Once the retaining bolt is removed, the starter can be drawn out of the crankcase.

Posted on: 2010/11/13 7:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
38Super8 is correct. Let me just add that if it's been a long time since it was last removed, there is a good likelihood of some corrosion between the cast iron of the starter snout and the aluminum crankcase so they can sometimes be pretty stubborn to remove. Some penetrating oil and trying first to rotate the starter a few degrees back and forth may be helpful in breaking it free.

Posted on: 2010/11/13 8:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Also, be aware that the starter motor is deceptively HEAVY. I wrenched my back getting mine out!

Tom

Posted on: 2010/11/13 11:42
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Thanks a bunch guys. I will make certain to get some help on the lift out so that I don't put my back out.
Terry

Posted on: 2010/11/13 15:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
Hi all,

Having suffered several broken springs on the starter, I am well used to removing it!

All the above info is correct, dont forget to disconnect the battery leads first.

First time the starer was stuck solid so injected some WD40 around and into the bolt hole then got a oil filter remover (an all metal type that tightens up with a thumb screw), attached it to the neck of the starter for more leverage.

Lube the starter well before re-inserting, it can be hard to wriggle it around if you dont.

Regards,

Pat.

Posted on: 2010/11/18 13:03
Pat Feeney,
Galway,
Rep. of Ireland.
1934 PACKARD 1101 CLUB SEDAN
1932 DODGE BROTHERS DK8
1927 BUICK MASTER
1923 Model T Tourer
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
What ever happened to things being"simple" back then? Reading of some of the procedures for starters, brakes, oil coolers and other quirks of the early models you guys endure makes me think mechanics who did it daily then were made of much sterner stuff--and apparently so are you that work on them now.

Posted on: 2010/11/18 13:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Pat,
Thanks for the tip with the oil filter wrench. I've seen lots of your blogs where you have had problems with your car and felt for you at the loss of your Dodge in the fire.
Look forward to seeing your car at other functions you may take it to.
Regards
Terry

Posted on: 2010/11/19 3:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Lube the starter well before re-inserting, it can be hard to wriggle it around if you dont.

Probably a decent idea, but I'd use oil or never-sieze very sparingly and not liberally!! Remember, as the starter tries to crank the engine, the resistance to turning it over translates into a tendency to counterrotate the starter itself and what holds it from rotating is a single large bolt thru an aluminum casting. You sure don't want to risk cracking the aluminum crankcase - which has happened in that very spot. Snug the bolt good and tight, there are no threads in the aluminum so you are threading into the cast iron of the starter snout.

Posted on: 2010/11/19 13:16
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved