Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 157

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

47 body issues
Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
I've only ever owned 55/56s, but may be looking at a 21st Series 6 cyl car in the near future, a car that shows surface rust, appears mostly solid, but certainly a project car.

Anyone out there who knows well or has restored a 21st and can pinpoint specific body areas to inspect closely for issues? How vulnerable were the frames, is weakness there a problem or rare? I don't want to get into a frame-off restoration. My goal is a solid driver with some original patina. Other potential pitfalls to be aware of, other than those typical of any 60+ yr old car?

Posted on: 2010/12/10 11:41
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Re: 47 body issues
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
strong frames, but usual lower edges rust on body. The column shifter slip/slop (lots on it here). With a six, I'd be looking for a less common body (2 dr or taxi).

Posted on: 2010/12/10 13:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
The floors and rocker panels of my 47 Clipper were the biggest challenge. Check where the center post between the doors where it is attached at the floor to make sure it is solid. If you are looking for a dependable/comfortable driver, then a good old 4 door would be my choice. The 6 cly engines are very reliable and they have surprising power. I have driven 65- 70 mph all day long without overdrive and not had any problems. Overdrive would be a big plus.

Posted on: 2010/12/10 14:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Good advice, thanks. I'll be looking at 4 doors, I'm not concerned about collectibility, just a fun car for local putzing around in the summer.

I've always liked 6s, with their short stiff cranks and perfect primary balance. Good to know one will move a Clipper around pretty well.

Posted on: 2010/12/10 16:04
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
The front drivers floor, rockers and the shelves (for lack of a better word) behind the headlamps were replaced on mine and are usually not in good shape on any rust belt Clippers. I did some small welding repair at the rea floor also. Unlikely you will find any problems with the frame.

Posted on: 2010/12/10 18:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
I concur with the above. Front driver's floor near the kick panel and inner rocker structure on both sides are problem spots. (Probably insufficient drainage.) Also, watch out for the trunk floor...mine looks like Swiss cheese but with more holes than cheese if you know what I mean. I'd make sure that, in general, body panels line up reasonably well, the doors/truck close properly and the B-pillar is solid.

Good luck...you'll love these Clippers...I love pushing mine around in the driveway and I'd bet they're even fun to drive!

Posted on: 2010/12/10 21:23
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved