Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 206

37Blanche, DJP-37-120, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

22 Series Rear Axle Advice Needed
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Michal
See User information
Hello Packard Info Crew,

Doing the brakes and seals all around on my 2272 and am stumped by the driver's side rear axle. The drum seems to slide in on the taper farther than it should and rubs against the brake backing plate once the axle nut is tightened. I swapped drums, same result. At first I thought I might want to remove the shim between the backing plate and the axle housing but now I'm looking at the threaded tip of the axles.

The 2nd pic shows how I'm not even able to snug the drum past the shoulder at the base of the threaded section. I added a few bushings to get around this, got a nice mate to the axle, but ran right into the backing plate. Anyone ever run into this problem? I'm tempted to try to track down another axle but thought I'd check in with the collective wisdom here before I make any more moves.

Thanks, Michal

Attach file:

jpg  (52.02 KB)
2646_4d110a38035af.jpg 478X640 px

jpg  (50.56 KB)
2646_4d110a4319d88.jpg 478X640 px

Posted on: 2010/12/21 15:14
Michal

Proud owner of a '48 2272 but I really wanted a club sedan?
 Top  Print   

Re: 22 Series Rear Axle Advice Needed
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Michael: This is strange. You say the passenger side drum has the same problem. Does the driver side brake drum fit on the passenger side axle as it should? If so, I would say you have a bad driver side axle. What was it like before you took it apart? How tight were the axle nuts? How does the key fit in the groove? What does the tapered part of the axle look like? More photos would help.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/12/21 16:28
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Since there are junior and senior axles and drums, could those be mixed in such a way that maybe a senior hub could be installed and be large enough to slide up the axle? I would think there should be something noticeable like wheel bolts or something else that would prevent that but maybe not. Are the drums the same width or depth?

Posted on: 2010/12/21 17:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Michal, I would suggest measuring the respective axle dimensions and hub dimensions with a caliper to isolate and identify what is out of tolerance or as HH56 mentioned a mix of parts. It appears that if these parts were always mated together this condition would have certainly existed before disassembly. Was it like this before disassembly?

Posted on: 2010/12/21 19:38
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Michal
See User information
Okay Guys, thanks for the great advice. I just pulled the drums and swapped them and the fit of the opposite drum IS much better. I verified the numbers cast in each drum and they're the same alright. The square pins and their slots look fine all around.

Then I took a mic to the outsides of the axle bores on each drum's hub and, sure enough, a noticeable difference. I'll look further in the morning when there's light but it seems to me I have a too-worn drum. Not sure how one would pull this off... maybe running a while with the hub loose or no pin installed. I'd expect you wouldn't be able to move the car but I guess it's possible?

Learned a lesson here to check thoroughly and not make assumptions. I had this bum drum turned and heli-coiled a stripped lug bolt hole; got a little over-confident there.

So... anyone have a recommendation on tracking down a rear brake drum? (Casting #32344-R)

Thanks, Michal

Posted on: 2010/12/21 20:28
Michal

Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Michal
See User information
Another quick question: torque spec for the axle nut?

I couldn't find it in the manual but might have missed it in a chart somewhere. I know the bulk of the stiction between the axle and drum is along the tapered surface but those nuts are what make that stick possible.

Posted on: 2010/12/21 20:34
Michal

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Torque 200-270 in 51 manual. Same axle used so would imagine same numbers can be applied.

Don't see how the bore could get that worn without having the axle in pretty bad shape as well.

Posted on: 2010/12/21 20:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Michal
See User information
Well the more I roll this over, the more I realize what I missed...

Upon disassembling the troubled drum, I did notice the axle nut was acting on a pair of stacked washers that had been carefully welded. I see now that this was an attempt to "tighten up" the drum on the axle at some point and this should have been my first clue to look further. I'm guessing to me the drum seemed firmly connected up in the air but actually had some play when in action on the road that had been ovaling the hub over time with only the square key transferring rotation.

Another clue was a munched outer seal that I now see was getting beat up by the tip of the hub reaching deeper inward than in should have. This explains why that side was pretty soaked with 90wt. (Gotta make sure I don't forget to top up the diff when everything's buttoned up. What's the favorite gear oil to use in the rear end?)

I have a replacement hub in the works thanks to a member here so I expect to be rolling & stopping in no time. Thanks again to this group and to my buddy, Jimmy, for his jumbo drum puller! I've put that beastie into action much more than expected.

Michal

Attach file:

jpg  (12.63 KB)
2646_4d117c1619111.jpg 319X320 px

Posted on: 2010/12/21 23:26
Michal

Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Michal
See User information
Just a final update to wrap this thread: I tracked down a decent used drum, slipped it on the axle, and it tightened up as expected. So, looks like my original drum had a worn hub center after all. I still need to top up the gear oil and button up a few more things before going out for a proper test drive but it's looking good.

Thanks again to everyone's help. Now it's on to the next item to be sorted so I'm sure I'll be posting again soon... probably regarding the R9 OD control unit.

Happy New Year PackardInfo, Michal

Posted on: 2011/1/6 1:56
Michal

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Thanks Michal for coming back and letting us know the final resolution to your problem. Let us know of your continuing progress of keeping another Packard on the road.

Posted on: 2011/1/6 2:37
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved