Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
73 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 72

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

O rings on door handles?
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
In an earlier thread I discussed removing outside door handles on my 56. Ready to reassemble, but......

When I removed them, I saw no evidence of weather sealing such as O-rings or gaskets......

It appears that you line up the latch, press the handles home and slide the spring into the door as needed.

No weather sealing?

Posted on: 2011/4/23 23:33
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: O rings on door handles?
Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Correct.

Other cars and earlier Packards have gaskets, but they are not weather sealing. Thopse handles mount on the painted surface of the body adn the function of the gaskets is to keep the paint from chipping.

Plenty of rain gets into the door via the lower edge of the window

Posted on: 2011/4/24 5:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
If it makes u feel better put a small rolled up string of DUm-dum around the door handle. Kanter probably sells Dum-Dum or any GM dealer if they still carry it. Do NOT use silicone or any alcohol or other paint compromising sealer!!! Silicone can never be removed. YEars later if need to paint door the silicone will still be there and the paint will never stick.

Look at the bottom flat horizontal surface of the door. There should at least 2wo drain holes a t the bottom of the door. Make sure the drain holes are not plugged up.

NEarly every paassenger car and lite truck i've ever seen over the last 40 -60 years has such drain holes. Several i've seen will fill up with 1/2 to 2 gallons of water if drain holes are plugged up.

Posted on: 2011/4/24 7:09
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
What I ususally use to feel better is a nice glass of wine. Years later when I paint the door the effect of the wine is long gone.

Posted on: 2011/4/24 7:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
What I usually use to feel better is a nice glass of wine. Years later when I paint the door the effect of the wine is long gone.

Great suggestion, and it covers so many situations. Give yourself a solid chocolate egg for this one!

Posted on: 2011/4/24 15:24
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
The problem occurs when we start hiding our own Easter eggs.

Posted on: 2011/4/24 17:23
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved