Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
135 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 135

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Front bench seat arm rest
Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
At a recent car show I saw a 1953 Chrysler New Yorker with both front an raer seat arm rests (about the same dimensions as the rear seat arm rest in my 56 Executive). Has anybody been able to incorporate the rear seat arm rest assembly into the front bench seat of a 56 Packard?

If it is possible, I would like to sink a couple cup holders into the arm rest, as well.

Posted on: 2011/8/29 10:15
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: Front bench seat arm rest
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't remember seeing or hearing of any attempts but wonder if it would be possible to mount a rear seat back frame in the front seat back mount or floor section. The back frame has all the support structure and hinges for the arm rest so I think it would be much easier to try mounting a complete back rather than trying to add or modify a front one.

Believe the mounting method & clip location is a bit different but possibly close enough to make the changes---if the width and height and even depth are close enough that padding or minor slicing & dicing is all that would be necessary. As I recall, there is a difference in shape at the bottom corners of seat back which may need some work.

Posted on: 2011/8/29 11:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
wonder if it would be possible to mount a rear seat back frame in the front seat back mount or floor section.

I don't think this will work. The Pat & 400 rear seat back is curved at the ends. I think it would be easier to cut out the arm rest from the rear spring frame and graft it into the front seat back spring frame. Of course, you're looking at custom upholstery too.

Interesting idea though!

Craig

Posted on: 2011/8/29 11:10
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Craig, I remembered the curve at the end and was correcting that omission when you posted. What I was thinking was with a fair amount of the tubular and straight steel supports in the middle, would it be easier to trim the bottom corners if all else was close or cut the entire frame and graft something in.

It might be better to do the grafting if the shape is really different--or maybe even find a seat back with a wide but short rest from another car and cut, pad and install that.

Posted on: 2011/8/29 11:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
I'll look into this and report on my findings. It sounds like a good winter project.
I wonder if the Packard design engineers had considered it or maybe a center console? They seemed to be at forefront of auto design and features (very forawrd thinking).

Posted on: 2011/8/29 11:20
Bob

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
On a different note..I remember a thread about where the rear speaker was installed on the Carribean convertible. Did they have the rear center arm rest like my Exec? Might they have mounted the speaker behind the arm rest (hidden when the arm rest was folded away)?

Posted on: 2011/8/29 11:51
Bob

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is an interesting question and if they did have them, maybe a possibility in years having conventional seats. The arm rest is almost the depth of the cushions but there may be enough room left behind it. In the 56 with the removable cushions I would wonder though. Sorry to say, have never been close enough to convertibles long enough to look at the possibilities. Maybe Randy or O_D or someone else with a convertible might have seen one or could guess as to where there would be enough room to stash one.

Posted on: 2011/8/29 12:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
On a different note..I remember a thread about where the rear speaker was installed on the Carribean convertible. Did they have the rear center arm rest like my Exec? Might they have mounted the speaker behind the arm rest (hidden when the arm rest was folded away)?

In my 55 Pat, I have a subwoofer box mounted in the trunk directly behind the rear fold down arm rest. There's two 6x9 speakers in the package tray. Since the low freqs go everywhere, it doesn't make much difference if the arm rest is up or down -- at least for the music I listen to. But, I usually have the arm rest down both for looks and acoustics.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/8/29 12:45
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul E. Gallagher
See User information
I saw this arm rest at a show last summer. It contains 2 large drink holders, storage compartment and arm rest. Comes in 60 colors. It attaches with a nylon strap that goes around the seat bottom. They show a '54 Packard as one of the illustrations. Cost $90 bucks plus shipping. www.classicconsoles.com I tried to scan the flyer but it didn't work with the new server, I guess.

Posted on: 2011/8/29 21:53
'49 Deluxe Eight - 23rd Series
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved