Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 226

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

V8 oil pump. Hash v Packard v 56J et-al
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
pics:

Attach file:

jpg  (44.67 KB)
35_4e6cec31a8e16.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (43.76 KB)
35_4e6cec5871c06.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (45.08 KB)
35_4e6cec80ef479.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/9/11 12:14
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Re: V8 oil pump. Hash v Packard v 56J et-al
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
more pics

Attach file:

jpg  (41.94 KB)
35_4e6ced2a6b395.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (24.38 KB)
35_4e6ced55600dd.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/9/11 12:18
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That 56J pump almost looks like a PI "fixed" pump although the plate may be thinner. If the 56J didn't use the vacuum pump, wonder why the vacuum tube is present instead of a plug. Can you tell if the Hash pump has bushings.

Posted on: 2011/9/11 12:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
That 56J pump almost looks like a PI "fixed" pump
Looks just like any and all '56J pumps.

Quote:
vacuum tube
is blocked off by the '56J bottom plate so the same pump body could be used on either.

Quote:
Can you tell if the Hash pump has bushings.
Can't speak for Keith's specific pump, but none of the Hash pumps I've ever seen had bushings. They all ran the steel shaft directly in the cast iron housing and bottom plate.

It is interesting the Hash engineers identified the weakness of the Packard pump design and required a fix for Hash engines which Packard refused to make on their own pumps.

jack vines

Posted on: 2011/9/11 14:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
is blocked off by the '56J bottom plate so the same pump body could be used on either.

I figured it was blocked off with the plate. Just looked more like it might have started as a Packard pump because the picture of a 56J pump that Brian posted has the vacuum tube eliminated. Maybe the body was changed along the line.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=85738#forumpost85738

Posted on: 2011/9/11 15:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Based on my undestanding of the PI fix, PI places a plate on the bottom of the pump WITH A BUSHING in the plate. They push the shaft further thru the gear to extend thru the plate. So no, the 56J pump is not at all like the PI fix. However the Hash pump IS more like the PI fix.

No bushings in the Hash pump. There may be some rare exceptions but across nearly all production engines i've seen oil pumps have no bushing. Cast iron is considered "self lubricating" which only means that it is porous enuf to hold/retain oil. Of course it must get SOME oil in order ot be 'self lubricationg'. Such parts as starters can not get ANY oil and there fore use an oillite (or similar) such special bushing. Mass production simply will not spend the money to bush something like an oil pump.

Posted on: 2011/9/11 20:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
" wonder why the vacuum tube is present instead of a plug"

Technically that is NOT a vaccuum tube. It is an AIR EXHAUST tube. It exhaust air from the vacuum pump.

THe pump in the pic is an alleged 56J oil pump i bought off of eBay from an auto parts store in GR mich. It came in a rebuilders box (name i can look up if it matters). SO possibly the rebuilder just mixed and matched Packard and 56J pumps as demand dictated at the time. By the the time decades rolled past and parts were surplused it came to me as shown and described above.

The Hash pump from eBay also was advertised as a 55 Nash pump. I still have a print out of the eBay listings for them. I bought them 6 or 7 years ago BEFORE the Olds conversion came into being. I WAS DESPERATE!!

Posted on: 2011/9/11 20:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Also note that the Hash pump pressure relief valve sets very low on the pump. apparently the Hash eng'eers knew what they were doing. I'm wondering why they didn't put it in the lower plate where it should be. Maybe not enuf oil pan clearence.

Posted on: 2011/9/11 20:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Technically that is NOT a vaccuum tube. It is an AIR EXHAUST tube. It exhaust air from the vacuum pump.

You are right. Vacuum tube or fitting is on the pump. I stand corrected.

Posted on: 2011/9/11 20:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I have another Packard pump that came out of my 5672a-1834. It is a LATE pump WITH pressure relief plug. And hand hewn lower plate (literally with file and hacksaw) with a lower bushing ala PI fix and Hash pump. I carved an oil groove INSIDE of the gear chamber ala SBC oil pump knowing that the all seeing eye of Chev Eng'ring could not be wrong. I took it to machine shop and had an UPPER brosnze bushing installed WITH OIL GROOVE in bushing to take up the wear. It worked GREAT for some 3k miles.

When the Olds conversion became available i removed the butchered up pump and replaced it wit h an Olds pump and 2 piece oil pan. I just could not justify running a rebuilt pump with 125K miles on it ONLY because the pressure relief piston and spring were unheard of and unknown of by any vendors i called at the time. BH has the part number for those that never heard of it. LONG STORY on that pump and all the shit i went thru to build it.

Bottom line: now thaat the Olds conversion is avialable i wouldn't have any oem Packard pump shouved up my ass. In fact i have about 6ix OEM pumps in my possesion that i will most likely never use.

Posted on: 2011/9/11 21:09
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved