Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 142

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

high beam indicator light
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
In working on my speedometer on the 51 200, I noted that there seems to be residue of some sort behind the hole for the high beam and the turn signal indicator, indicating that something used to be fastened there. I seem to remember that the high beam light was red, but don't remember on the turn signal. Should I apply some cellophane or similar product behind the holes? thanks

Posted on: 2011/10/27 15:27
 Top  Print   

Re: high beam indicator light
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Brite is red, turn signal is amber in 51-2.

The original was an opaque or at least non-transparent color. When using clear cellophane, you may also want to use a very thin white styrene sheet to go between bulb and color. It may not be as bad on the 51 without it, but on other cars with larger openings the bulb filament shines through and that outline is very apparent. It also has a very shiny and thin look when light shines or reflects thru which I didn't like. The bit of extra matte white made all the difference.

I got these sheets for a different year car at a hobby shop but the .012 thickness of styrene is borderline. If you can find styrene at .010 or less, it would work better. Couldn't find a correct amber shade here so that was made with a layer of yellow and orange to get fairly close. Yellow was just too yellow and didn't look at all right. The .010 thickness on colors is good. Reasonably stiff and easy to work with.

Attach file:

jpg  (83.98 KB)
209_4ea9c54f438a7.jpg 1123X927 px

Posted on: 2011/10/27 15:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
thanks - I'll work on that!

Posted on: 2011/10/27 18:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Headed to the hobby store and passed my favorite stained glass workshop. Stopped there instead and the owner gave me several small pieces of red and yellow glass. Just glued them on and they look great - really brillant. I have extra pieces if anyone needs some.

Posted on: 2011/10/27 19:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Very good idea. Thicker glass will probably hold up better and not fade in the center from heat like the plastic does. Did you find the reason your gauges failed while you had things apart?

Posted on: 2011/10/27 19:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
yes - the dash mouted voltage regulator had gone bad. I got a new old stock unit and put it in. The fuel and temp gauges now work just fine.

Posted on: 2011/10/31 10:12
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved