Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
228 user(s) are online (162 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 227

CCR, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Compression Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Some of you may recall I had a knocking question recently. I was told this evening that I have little or no compression on the 2nd and 3rd cylinders moving from the fan rearward. My brother-in-law thinks it may be a couple of things, but really doesn't know. The knock "went away" with an oil change including 1 1/2 quarts of Marvel oil. Any of you guys have any ideas or a place for me to start? As usual, thanks in advance! Paul

Posted on: 2011/12/13 21:50
 Top  Print   

Re: Compression Question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I haven't a clue about the knock but low compression in one or more cylinders can be burned valves but when in two adjacent cylinders a more likely cause is a blown head gasket. If your engine has mechanical lifters you might first check the tappet clearances and retest the compression.

Posted on: 2011/12/13 22:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
How would one blow a head gasket? I have always driven my car very gently, I hope to goodness this is not something I caused! Is that a huge repair? I think the tappets are hydraulic and they were the suspects in the knocking...

Posted on: 2011/12/13 22:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No, it's not a huge repair - quite the opposite, pretty basic skills and tools only. See

http://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=863

How can it happen? Old age, gasket fatigue, improper cylinder head torque, etc.

Posted on: 2011/12/13 22:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Today is the first day I have seen the car since this happened. Really running rough, kind of chugging... Also noticed the bolts atop the motor (the center ones) have a bit of oil around the nut. This is right above the 2nd and 3rd spark plugs back from the fan. I want to get this done as soon as I can. I have to tell you, this old car has been a stress reliever for me! I need it back soon...

Posted on: 2011/12/14 19:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Also noticed the bolts atop the motor (the center ones) have a bit of oil around the nut. This is right above the 2nd and 3rd spark plugs

Further indication of a failed head gasket.

Posted on: 2011/12/14 22:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
I have to tell you, I am grateful that this could possibly the problem. I also think it has been coming on for a year or so... I have noticed the oil on the bolt(s) for about that time.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a particular place where one would order that gasket? Or a particular type/ style or brand of gasket?

Owen, I particularly appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge with me! Thanks abundantly.

Paul

Posted on: 2011/12/15 23:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Try torqueing the head nuts.

Posted on: 2011/12/15 23:32
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Paul, you can get a new proper gasket from Kanter Bros., Max Merritt, or Egge, among others. Cost is probably around $125, +/-.

Highly unlikely that retorquing the head bolts will solve the problem at this point, but it takes so little effort that it's worth a try. About 63 lb-ft should be correct; if all are loose, go in a spiral pattern starting in the center and go in a couple of steps. Or you can just use the pattern shown in the shop manual.

And don't forget after you install a new gasket, to retorque twice, once after 30 minutes or so of running, and again after a couple of hours. Wouldn't hurt to recheck again after a few months of service. If one or more refuse to tighten to torque, chances are the stud has fatigued and is stretching - replace it (or all of them).

Posted on: 2011/12/16 9:07
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bobs51
See User information
Owen, Just a dumb question. I have always re-torqued the head once after running the engine for a wile. My, self taught, procedure was to just start with where the bolts were and check the torque from there. Is this the right way or should you loosen them a bit and then re-torque them?

Posted on: 2011/12/18 16:18
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved