Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
247 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 247

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

non functioning turn signal bulb
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
ok guys - going nuts here. The front right turn signal bulb won't work on the 51 200. The front bulb is good; by swapping the wires to the parking light assembly, the brighter (turn signal) filament burns great, but wiring it correctly nothing happens. I've pulled the steering wheel and tested the continuity from the orange wire at the switch to the termination at the wiring by the right hand horn, and it is good. All other lights work very well. Any suggestions out there?

Posted on: 2012/2/23 13:09
 Top  Print   

Re: non functioning turn signal bulb
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Are the bulbs on both sides the same? There were some bulbs which fit and lock into the socket just fine but the locating pins are a few degrees different or at a slightly different height. This could prevent one of the contacts from making. There also sockets which even though the pins are supposed to be one style, the grooves are wide enough that a different bulb will fit.

If bulbs are the same, any chance the fiber contact support in socket has warped or if they have the type buttons with rounded solder dome, has one heated and flattened so it is not making contact.

Posted on: 2012/2/23 13:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
by swapping the wires to the parking light assembly, the brighter (turn signal) filament burns great, but wiring it correctly nothing happens.
You still have not verified a good wire from the switch to the socket. Double check the continuity of that wire. If it is broken somewhere, you will get the results you describe.
You almost need a helper to do this easily. Good luck

Posted on: 2012/2/23 15:21
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
A simple test light is what you need, then you can check all the points in between and find where problem is. Have you check connectivity at the fender junction block?

Posted on: 2012/2/23 15:23
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
After quite a bit of testing and some cussing, found the problem. Just as Howard suggested, the socket is bad - I'll swing by Napa in the morning and pickup a new dual filiment socket. I had to do that on the other side several years ago. Guess I should have done both of them at that time.

Posted on: 2012/2/23 22:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Guess what - replaced the socket, and still no turn signal. I think now that the problem is in the switch. I guess tomorrow I'll pull it out and put it on the meter. Bummer!

Posted on: 2012/2/24 22:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Might save some work if you wanted to check in place before tearing it apart again. You should be able to check the switch by disconnecting at the plug. Blue is from the flasher and connects to white (front) and brown (rear) for the left side and orange (front) and yellow (rear) for the right side. The remaining wire (green) is from the brake switch and would connect to brown and yellow just sitting. When signaling a turn, only one of the rear wires would connect at a time. If selecting a right turn, green would only connect to the brown wire so the L rear is on steady. Here is an extraction of the switch if you don't have it already.https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/wirediagrams/Turn%20Signal%20Extraction.pdf

Posted on: 2012/2/24 23:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Thanks Howard - If I'm correct, I should be able to disconnet the plug, then connect a meter to the orange button on the plug, then the other meter wire to the front light socket and check for continuity. How do I check the switch itself with the plug disconnected? Electrical troubleshooting is not my strong point!

Posted on: 2012/2/25 17:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Yes, you should be able to check between the orange wire and the bulb socket as you mention. To check the switch side, use the portion of plug going to column and switch. Check the same way except connect one side of meter to the blue wire. I think that side of plug should have the exposed pins so you might benefit from an alligator connector or clip lead to stay on the pin. With the switch off, touch the other meter lead to each of the other wires or pins and nothing else should give you a reading. Move the switch to a right turn and you should have a short or reading between blue and orange & blue and yellow. A left turn should give a reading between blue and white and blue and brown.

Posted on: 2012/2/25 17:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
thanks - I'll try that tomorrow.

Posted on: 2012/2/25 22:58
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved