Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
181 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 181

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Rubber cushion under horn button 1948 22nd Series Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Hi - doing finishing touches to my restoration and have remembered that upon removing the rubber cushion under the horn button it was perished and now I can't find it nor can I even remember what the material was like ?

Anyone any ideas upon replacing it with something else ?

I thought of a piece of radiator hose ? cut to the appropriate length - big trouble is I don't know what the lenth should be ? does anyone know ?

I think that the cushion's function is to apply upward pressure onto the button so once pressed down and turned into its correct position it no longer can turn without some pressure being applied - perhaps in fact it should not be called the "horn button" as the horn is worked by the the horn ring ?

Any help of any kind appreciated - cushion I refer to is illustrated below.

Best regards Michael

Attach file:

jpg  (47.13 KB)
1329_4f577265c7854.jpg 1280X904 px

Posted on: 2012/3/7 9:30
 Top  Print   

Re: Rubber cushion under horn button 1948 22nd Series Sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It was a piece of black foam rubber. Buy some foam rubber sheeting, cut a strip, and then fold it over on itself until you build an adequate thickness.

Posted on: 2012/3/7 9:35
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
It's a fairly dense foam rubber at that!

Posted on: 2012/3/7 11:24
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Various densities and thicknesses of foam are used in the upholstery industry. You might go by an automotive upholstery shop and see if they will sell you some scrap foam. I have some that is at least three inches thick.

Posted on: 2012/3/7 13:09
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I put some 1/2" thick foam in my 51 200 horn button and it works very well. I do think the density is important. Any good upholstery shop will have several differnt ones, and most would let you have a 3" square scrap. Or you can go to one of the fabric shops, but you'll probably have to pay for it there.

Posted on: 2012/3/7 15:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Thanks Guys for your ideas suggestions etc.

I am always astounded at the quick responses to my various troubles and tribulations over the period of my restoration - there's nothing like PackardInfo !!

Scouting around my studio I eventually came across the very thing to use : an OPUK ergonomic omni-directional wrist rest (see 'em at www.pukme.com)- basically it's a round blob of quite stiff formed rubber with a depression in the middle fixed firmly to a solid shiny plastic base.

Don't know why or how I got it but it is ideal for this job once the rubber is parted from the plastic base and inserted depression down onto the horn ring it is just the right size and gives the right pressure to keep the button secure.

Also it is a bit of fun using something so different !!

Thanks again

Best regards Michael

P.S JUST REALISED I AM SHORT OF A LEFT HAND SIDE DOOR HANDLE SO ANY ONE READING THIS TOPIC WHO HAS OR KNOWS OF ONE PLEASE POST HERE WITH DETAILS THANKS

Attach file:

jpg  (65.13 KB)
1329_4f5a043ea94d3.jpg 986X740 px

jpg  (58.78 KB)
1329_4f5a0493d97a5.jpg 986X740 px

jpg  (112.79 KB)
1329_4f5a04b0264ef.jpg 986X740 px

Posted on: 2012/3/7 16:32
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved