Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 162

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Line in gas tank. Help!
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

seizure66
See User information
Curious if anyone has a tip for cleaning the line INSIDE the tank on my 49 Deluxe 8? I have tried to blow it out with 150 psi, no luck, carb cleaner, piano wire, cable, cable on a drill, tap in with a screw driver, and so on. The tank is out, on it's side soaking with parts cleaner now! Seems to be getting hung up at that uphill hump in the tank line...is this common?

Thanks a bunch.

Posted on: 2012/5/21 22:23
1949 Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: Line in gas tank. Help!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Some have been able to chuck a short length of speedometer cable in a slow speed drill and push it while it rotates and get it thru that way. Sounds like that is your cable on a drill. Can you see thru the sender opening if the tube looks damaged in any way.

The end of tube is roughly 1/8 inch above the bottom of depression in tank but pointing straight into it. Varnish and sometimes repair sealer pooled in the depression can plug it up quite well. If the gas ran back and solidified in the horizontal part of tube, probably the carb cleaner while running the drill & cable is the best option. Position the tank so the tube is filled with cleaner.

Posted on: 2012/5/21 22:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

seizure66
See User information
I have the sending unit out, does not seem to be damaged, but has a hard end feel on the cable I am using. Not like running into goo. But, no carb cleaner is coming thru either....hmm....

Posted on: 2012/5/21 22:35
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

seizure66
See User information
Thank you for the response BTW! Think it is safe to just let it soak in parts cleaner over night? Like, fill up that tube and set it sideways at an angle?

Posted on: 2012/5/21 22:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I would think it would be OK to let it soak. I would also make sure tank is positioned so some could be poured into the tube outlet and let it run in from that direction as well. Hard to say what kind of condition the tank is in. If tube is plugged or rusted that badly, the tank may not be much better and good to find it out now.

Posted on: 2012/5/21 22:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

seizure66
See User information
Thanks Howard! Funny thing is the tank looks pretty good inside, and just a bit of sediment...It is soaking now in carb and parts cleaner, so close to being ready for a little ride, but I guess a tank comes in handy for that! It is up on one end, at an angle so the cleaner can work its way down and over the hump in the line...that's all i have soaking. Check it in the morning!

Posted on: 2012/5/21 23:46
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Try some thin welding wire. Also when it comes out the other end, it's only like 1/4" above the sump, be carefully you don't punch through the bottom.

The tubing could be rust plugged or bent.

Posted on: 2012/5/21 23:55
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

seizure66
See User information
I can get a thin wire about 12 inches in, but no air, I think I am right there at the hump.....thanks for the advice! If this cleaner does not work I will try some muriatic acid...

Posted on: 2012/5/22 0:06
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

seizure66
See User information
Soaked, poked, blown and through! getting closer! now to clean the tank, put the in line filter on....and some gas!

Thanks all!

geo

Posted on: 2012/5/22 22:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Geo,

You may have an issue running an inline filter between the tank and fuel pump if you have any sediment or dirt in your tank. I tried it, and as soon as the filter gets a little clogged with fine particles, your car will run out of gas. My trips got shorter each time, eventually going only about 1/4 mile. I think BigKev had the same problem.

I took the filter that I had placed right outside the tank off, and although the fuel coming out was clean, the intake side had orange, rusty gas coming out.

The remedy was to pull the tank again, clean it more, and treat it with the Eastwood gas tank repair kit.

I'm now driving all over with no filter between the tank and pump, and no problems.

BTW, my sending unit float was filled with gas, so I had to repair it. Let me know if you need detailed instructions on my method of repair.

Posted on: 2012/5/23 6:37
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved