Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
171 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 171

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

'56 Patrician Rear Uni Joint
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
We started talking about rear uni joints in the pinion seal topic but I thought this now should probably be a new topic. I've had another look at mine and I'm pretty sure that it does have circlips on the inside of the caps, and definitely not the outside where I had previously looked. I would like to make sure this joint is well serviced and I'm thinking now would be as good a time as any to fit a new one (with grease nipple). Basically, I've tried to check-out the rear uni joint listed in the X-Ref (Neapco #28056) but am having all sorts of trouble identifying it on the web, or a viable alternative. That is, the only picture I could find has four round caps whereas mine has two, plus two bolt through wings. Does anyone have any other uni joint numbers which I can try out? Regards, John

Posted on: 2012/6/30 5:40
 Top  Print   

Re: '56 Patrician Rear Uni Joint
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
After your comment I went to look at my spare 56 senior driveshaft just to refresh my memory. I suggest you take a closer look for the retaining clips - they're there - what else would hold the cups from departing the scene?

On my shaft the ends of the clips were well inboard towards the shaft center and thus not particularly visible without a good look and before a bit of cleaning - perhaps yours are similarly placed. Do you need a photo?

If you can't find the joint locally you could always get it from Kanter's or Max.

Posted on: 2012/6/30 9:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I can't vouch for the Neapco 28056 or provide any alternate interchange info. However, the parts book illustrations, namely Plates No. 40 AND No. 41, may provide some clarity.

The rear joint with four round caps and outside clips is used on Clippers with standard and overdrive transmission. Only two clips are used in this application - installed outboard of the caps, in a groove in each bore of the driveshaft yoke. The other two caps are cinched by u-bolts fastened to the rear axle companion flange (pinion yoke).

The type of rear joint with only two round caps with inside clips, but two flanged caps (with wings/ears), is used with Ultramatic. The clips are installed in grooves on the inboard end of two round caps, after those caps have been installed in the bores of the driveshaft yoke. The flanged/winged caps are bolted to the rear axle companion flange (pinion yoke).

TIP: To have any chance of greasing a replacement cross-type universal joint with a provision for a fitting in the cross and the driveshaft in-car, be sure to install the grease fitting with the nipple pointing toward the driveshaft.

Now, I'm wondering what Seniors with standard/overdrive equipment would have used for shaft and joints, as those with Ultramatic were heavier for Senior. Nothing shown in parts book application listings.

Posted on: 2012/6/30 9:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
I tried to find the neapco 28056, can't find it, but di find other things to add to parts ref.

But did find this guy is selling a lot of u joints, looks like 15, 28056,,and other types..name terry jarvis,,1-800- 426-5911,,don't know how old this is..

Posted on: 2012/6/30 11:18
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I posted the Neapco 28056. It is still in my parts stash and is identical to my Lempco U-416, but the Neapco has a grease fitting.

Attach file:

jpg  (123.49 KB)
23_4fef35d5715ac.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (86.72 KB)
23_4fef35e64e9af.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (81.64 KB)
23_4fef35fa6c953.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/6/30 12:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Randy,

Now where to buy?

Posted on: 2012/6/30 14:01
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
i have looked all over,

came across these interchange, don't know if they are true,

Detroit 5380,,K-1301,spicer 5-1301x,precision 304,Rockwell/Meritor CP1301x, Borg-Warner 114-373, Chrsyler 947555,1881657, 3780272,,Rockwell/Meritor CP53625-2,,,Mopar D 127,,D 128,,,

Parts of these might work,,,no picture to see what they look like.

Posted on: 2012/6/30 16:37
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
Thanks guys for all of your advice. That Neapco shown by Randy definitely looks like what I need. The numbers provided by Riki may well be suitable too but unless a parts supplier over here can do something with the Neapco number, I think I might have to hold fire until I remove the one installed now and have it accurately measured and a suitable part identified. Also, I've gotten under the car for a closer look and you all are correct, the circlips are located on the inner side of the cups beneath some grime. I'm now feeling confident about removing the joint.

You may well ask why then replace it? Well, I've owned the car for 5 years and done at least 20K miles and haven't greased either uni joint in that time. Also, I don't know when the previous owner last worked on them either and he's passed on now so there's no way of finding out. A new rear one would be good insurance for the future and shouldn't cost the earth. This one I reckon I can handle now but will need to do some more homework when it comes to the front one. Regards, John

Posted on: 2012/7/1 3:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
JP,

I sent a request to "find it parts",,will let you know if they have it, cause, i need one too..

or if they give me updated part numbers..

Posted on: 2012/7/1 13:25
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
Thanks Riki, much appreciated. By the way, I was rummaging around some of my spare parts yesterday and found a front universal kit for an Ultramatic which I don't think is used. It's marked #458420 which, according to the parts book, is for a Clipper not a senior. Pity! Regards, John

Posted on: 2012/7/2 2:48
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved