Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
199 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 199

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

conv. top problem
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
Thought I would start a new thread about the 51 conv. top problem so it be easier to follow.

We added fluid to the hydraulic canister and it was about 1 inch below the line where it should be. But still the top wouldn't go down. Before this the top worked fine, maybe a little slow but it did work. Owner says hydraulics were completely rebuilt about 6 years agoand everything looks new and clean. Where should we go now to trouble shoot? When I pull knob to lower the hydraulics jumps like it has juice going to it but I'm not sure what it's supposed to look like when it's working. Let me know what's next.

Posted on: 2012/7/6 17:28
 Top  Print   

Re: conv. top problem
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'm assuming the pump does run normally both in trying to go up or down so we can rule out electrics?

Does the car have hydraulic windows and do they operate normally going up? Is the knob moving the top valve lever all the way when pulled or pushed? If it has regular windows and top valve is moving all the way, would check pressure and relief valve per instructions.

If it has windows and they work OK or if pressure is good, then about the only thing left is the top valve itself or maybe during operation something was loose and moved and is now causing a bind in the top mechanism.

Doubtful it would suddenly show after all these years but one other thought. Any remote chance top hydraulic hoses were changed to something incompatible or something contaminated fluid and hoses swelled?

Attach file:

jpg  (34.33 KB)
209_4ff76c15413af.jpg 354X429 px

Posted on: 2012/7/6 17:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
The windows are manual.

Is the knob moving the top valve lever all the way when pulled or pushed? If it has regular windows and top valve is moving all the way, would check pressure and relief valve per instructions.

The above statement I'm not sure about because I'm a novice for sure. Can you be more specific with details as to how to do these things--thanks

Posted on: 2012/7/6 18:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The top valve is a large round affair bolted to the firewall behind the knob and a rod connects the two. You can see the arrangement with contortions and looking under the dash while moving the knob. Just verify nothing appears to be interfering with the movement such as something loose or a wire or something else dropping down preventing full travel of the valve when knob is pulled or pushed.

If you wanted to check the relief valve, it is behind the hex cap as shown highlighted in the photo. Depending on mounts, the pump may have to be removed to access and remove it. It is one of those things that needs to be done carefully so as not to damage or lose anything. The cap is spring loaded so pieces may come flying out.

If that is OK, then I think your next step is pressure and for that you will need tools, gauge and hose connections. Just what depends on where a measurement attempt is made. You might have to take it to a shop.

Attach file:

jpg  (8.43 KB)
209_4ff77a1430783.jpg 221X178 px

jpg  (26.17 KB)
209_4ff77a1bb5981.jpg 511X798 px

Posted on: 2012/7/6 18:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
Thank you, I'll keep you posted on what I find out or what happens. The statement about parts flying out is intimidating :)

Posted on: 2012/7/6 21:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
We were gone all last week and we plan on getting into the top this week, will let you know what happens.

Posted on: 2012/7/16 10:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
Okay, we charged the battery all night then started her up the next day and let it run about 10 minutes and the top performed fine. I guess chalk it up to beginners error. Thanks for the help you guys provided.

Posted on: 2012/7/18 19:40
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved