Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 140

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 18 19 20 (21) 22 23 24 ... 73 »

Re: Mike's 53 Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
pic

Attach file:

jpg  (101.63 KB)
657_52e8ee2c3cacc.jpg 1280X956 px

jpg  (97.21 KB)
657_52e8ef27a10ab.jpg 1280X956 px

Posted on: 2014/1/29 7:04
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1953 Caribbean, 1969 912, 1990 Miata
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
I've started my adventure in hammering out dents on the front fenders. Bought myself a ~good hobby quality hammer and dolly set and also a big wooden hammer. The smaller and obvious dents I feel like I can get them about 80% smoothed out. I am not even trying to get them perfect, just so there will be less bondo. The drivers side fender has turned out to be a big challenge. There was about 3/4 inch deep bondo in the whole area behind the wheel. You can see how bad it was. There was a tear in the sheet metal, and that was welded by a previous body work guy, and then very crudely hammered into shape. I spent about an hour on this area already, and can see some improvement.
I am trying to start on the outsides of the damage and work my way in towards the center, but it is slow and hard going.

Posted on: 2014/1/29 7:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Just spent the last 5 hours or so with the hammer and dollys on the fender, and well, you can't tell too much by the picture, but it is better. The surface of the fender looks like it got shot with a shotgun, or that is what the PO used to do body work, idk. There are still lots of little pock marks in the sheet metal in this one area, but the basic shape is pretty good. The only problem area I still have is in the yellow circle which has the inner fender in the way so I can't hammer it from the back.
Any suggestions on how to get that straightened out? The lip that runs down the wheel well edge is also not so great, but more in the right neighborhood.
I may also try some old fashioned tinning in this area. Leading, or whatever you want to call it. I guess more metal will mean less bondo.
It might have been easier/better to get a section of fender and weld that in as a patch panel. Here's a pic of the progess so far.

Attach file:

jpg  (104.78 KB)
657_52ec2c3d0c9fe.jpg 1280X956 px

Posted on: 2014/1/31 18:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Not sure if you are serious about a patch section, Mike, but note that I am headed for Berlin end of February if that helps. Germany customs/inspection already expecting me...

Posted on: 2014/1/31 23:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Mike, regarding that area that you can't get behind check out BigKev's blog for ideas. He used a little unit that welds studs to the low spot so you can use them to pull the dent out. Then grind off the studs. Above my bodywork skill level for sure but an idea to keep in mind.

Posted on: 2014/2/1 0:12
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
A stud welder would be the right thing here to use to pull the rest of that huge dent out when there is no access from behind, but a patch panel might be more reasonable, if I can find something that doesn't cost a fortune. Eastwood has a stud welder for 250$, but the only thing I could find in germany was more like 390?, and I don't plan on doing too much body repair in my future.
I'll post a something in the for sale /wanted and see if I can get an original panel. No way I am going to ship an entire fender to germany, but a panel that goes below the trim strip and down might be reasonable.
DAF, I may take you up on the shipping, but I hope a somewhat flat fender 1/4 won't be too costly to ship

Posted on: 2014/2/1 3:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
A little bit of progress on the weekend. I got the fuel tank installed with new fuel sender, and I also ran a ground line from the sender itself so I don't have to worry about ground issues. Easy to install the tank with a helper and when it is empty! Flared the end of the fuel line and got that buttoned up. Whenever making flares...practice practice practice! Before doing the flare on the car, use some scrap pieces of line and do 2 or 3 flares to get good at it before doing the final flare on the line that you already ran everywhere in the car. My flare tool has an adjustment for how hard it grips the line while flaring, and that was too loose, which caused me to screw up my first 2 "practice flares" but they were only practice flares, so I wasn't crying.
Also got the last hanger for the exhaust installed after the muffler. If I get my starter put back together, I could start to think about starting the engine for the first time...Sorry no pictures, everyone will just have to believe me that I was productive

Posted on: 2014/2/11 10:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It's probably a bit late to bring this forward now but did you happen to see or investigate this front fender repair panel

Posted on: 2014/2/11 10:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Thanks Howard. I did see that, but was able to get an original packard fender portion from Gerry at soutwest packards. Just trying to work out shipping now.

Posted on: 2014/2/11 13:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Mike - I will be seeing Gerry this weekend at the PI meet - then flying to Berlin on the 27th, if that helps...please tell me it will fit in my suitcase?

DAF

Posted on: 2014/2/11 17:57
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 18 19 20 (21) 22 23 24 ... 73 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved