Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
240 user(s) are online (163 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 238

Out Islander, Dealer1, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

The A/C works!
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
First trial run today on our first 80+ degree day.. It is working and seems good.

Even though the system was power flushed and I now have a six bladed fan, the engine ran hot in traffic. Needle normally comes up to 10:30 or so and sits there; got to 12:00 and seemed to not like being so hot, although nothing boiled out, Interestingly, turned the electric fan on for six-seven minutes with plenty of noise but no gauge results.

We will be adding an automatic switch for the fan. They are now saying it needs to be on when the air is on. Seems possibly excessive....

One important note: Don't want any exhaust gas in the cabin when it it is closed. I had the mechanic install new tubing on the vents on both sides. It is held on securely by industrial strapping, Don't want any exhaust in a closed cabin.....

I had previously replaced the bellows on all the foot pedals.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 18:27
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: The A/C works!
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Well, she is definitely overheating a lot with air on. In eighty degree sunny weather she gets so hot she pings, even with the six bladed fan and the electric (which sounds like it could propel the car at 40mph by itself...,.)

We have flushed the system twice, vigorously-in the last three years Even without air, it overheats in slow traffic on hot days.

All the hoses are new.

I'm thinking it is time to have the radiator boiled/rodded or otherwise checked out.

The water pump seems ok and has a newish belt.

What would you do?

Posted on: 2013/5/9 17:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You might want to use an IR temp gun or thermometer to see how the actual real temperature agrees with the gauge. If your gauge is like my 56 gauge, even all the way to "H" is still below the boiling point.

Posted on: 2013/5/9 17:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
PatGreen Quote:
I'm thinking it is time to have the radiator boiled/rodded or otherwise checked out.

That's what I'd do FIRST. My 55 Pat does not overheat even when driven hard in 115F temps during the Summer here in Southern Nevada (Pahrump & Las Vegas). I don't have A/C, but I do have an air-to-air cooler for the transmission (T-U) in front of the radiator that's throwing off some heat just like a A/C condenser would. I have the stock 4-bladed fan and no shroud.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/5/9 17:38
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
when was the last time you check the water pump blade. they are usually made from plastic. maybe you lost some of the blades from it being brittle. this is a very long shot...but I wanted to put it out there.

Posted on: 2013/5/9 18:33
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Good info Hank. Got several water pumps on the shelf and plastic impellers look less than trustworthy.

Posted on: 2013/5/9 18:57
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Diehard51
See User information
Hi, I'm new and own a '51 4dr 200 and was interested in your thread on a/c. Not sure what engine you have or what electrical system, But I wondered is it possible to run a/c on my 200 with the straight 8 6v positive ground? Thx in advance, Bruce

Posted on: 2013/5/9 20:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A few things will cause issues. If you do a search on site there are several threads on various things with older AC. Here's the pertinent items condensed.

First being voltage. Back in the day Packard did not use a larger generator for AC cars but many today say the existing generator is not adequate and the car should have an alternator. A few installed 6v alternators but most have just bit the bullet and converted to 12v.

If you want to keep 6v, there are no 6v units mfg'd today. You will either have to modify a very basic underdash hang on unit -- none with electronic controls will work -- or find an old 6v unit in decent condition at the junkyard or ebay. The modification part presents problems because most modern hang ons have a dual shaft motor driving the blower wheels and no dual shaft motors are made in 6v. You would have to figure out how to mount and use 6v single shaft universal heater motors which is a bit smaller than typical AC motors.

The 12 Sanden compressor has several reporting it will work on 6v so fabricating a mount and drive would be the biggest issue there. Mount or bracket is not too bad and a few photos with some ideas are spread around in various threads on site. The drive is the bigger issue because you would have to either find a Packard crankshaft AC drive pulley or else use a single belt driving all the existing pulleys plus the added AC. The Packard AC pulleys are somewhat hard to come by so are expensive but do come up from time to time. Your 51 wouldn't have power steering so although a bit larger than the AC drive, finding a power steering pulley setup could work for the AC. There is a report that some Ford components could be made to work but other than the person who made the statement, I don't know of anyone who has verified that. The single belt has been done by some but has to be carefully laid out to prevent long unsupported stretches which could lead to belt whip or belt flying off a pulley.

Posted on: 2013/5/9 20:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Diehard51
See User information
Thx HH56, I've been considering the 12v conversion already, but that's a whole nother can a worms....Still have to see if my 288 runs first. Thx again, Bruce

Posted on: 2013/5/9 20:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
This for Diehard 51...

Possibly this is redundant for you......

FYI The 55 and 56 cars are all V-8s which are totally different from straight eights. Both are also 12 volts.

When I added air, I also added a GM alternator which I remember as being 65 watts or thereabouts....

I have a spare water pump; will pull the old one and look at the blades. Plastic!

Posted on: 2013/5/9 22:33
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved