Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 217

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Power Steering filter-'54 Patrician?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
Hi Guys,

What is the correct filter for the p/s? Rock has two listed, Lares 299 (OD diameter 3") and Lares 199 (2.5" OD) Both are 1 9/16 tall, the only diff is the diameter...the one on the car now is not the same size and is incorrect.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2016/9/17 20:45
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Re: Power Steering filter-'54 Patrician?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As long as it fits inside the can the OD is not as important as the height and the inner diameter. Most of the IDs are large enough and should not be an issue - but you do need to make sure the one you decide on is able to fit over the center pipe yet not be so large it won't sit or stay on the bottom nut or seat on the pipe. The spring and washer assy has to be able to push against the filter top to keep the center sealed and filter seated on the bottom so the fluid is forced to go thru the filter and not around it.

According to packards1, the original 52-4 filter was 2 1/2 inches tall. I don't know if you will find a modern filter that tall but if not or the spring won't stretch to get the washer closer you can make a spacer out of a PVC pipe nipple or similar to go over the filter and have the spring compress and seal the spacer against the filter top. If the center turns out to be too large and filter wants to slip over the bottom seat you can use a thin flat washer under the filter for a wider support.

Here is an old thread giving a few filter numbers and links. Note that the pump is the shorter 55-6 pump but I believe the 52-4 pipe and bottom seat is similar so filters should fit the earlier too. You may need the spacer if the spring won't stretch. The thing to watch out for is what happened on the filter in the thread. When I took pump apart the filter element had separated from the center mesh and slipped down so the metal center at the top was exposed and fluid was completely bypassing the filter.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=113633#forumpost113633

Posted on: 2016/9/17 21:14
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
Thank you, Howard!

Posted on: 2016/9/17 22:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Something new to learn about a Packard. Never heard of having a filter on the power steering system....

John

Posted on: 2016/9/18 21:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information

Posted on: 2016/9/22 10:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Height looks good for the tall cans and all else is comparable to the short filters. The only question I have is the ID. I can't remember the size of the nut on the bottom of the pipe or whether I chose to use a flat washer on the 56 pump. As was mentioned, my old filter had slipped over the nut and wasn't doing much. It was cardboard though so if the cork on the new filter is solid and the bottom is metal the new one should be OK.

Posted on: 2016/9/22 11:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved