Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
27 user(s) are online (22 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 27

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 ... 39 »

Re: A Tale of Two Patricians
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I did manage to get it out but at first it would rotate only a very tiny amount. I had already soaked it in PBBlaster and eventually it began to turn more and more. Added more Blaster, then using a fine file on the center and end to smooth it out, it came out by tapping the end while rotating back and forth. At first when I asked about it I could not see a head of any sort on the right end so thought it might have been somehow staked in place but that turned out to not be the case!

Posted on: 2018/7/2 17:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The shop is closed up for the next visit as I'm leaving tomorrow but I feel that I got a lot done even if most of it was just disassembly. Here are some "parting shots":

Attach file:

jpg  (288.14 KB)
60923_5b3ae4479910e.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (268.66 KB)
60923_5b3ae48ed0203.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (249.11 KB)
60923_5b3ae4d16bab4.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (303.22 KB)
60923_5b3ae50e4da1c.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2018/7/2 21:53
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
This is always the tedious work in doing a car!

Posted on: 2018/7/5 9:03
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you, Kev, yes it is! I appreciate the comment as it gives me encouragement since, at my age, I'm not sure how far along I'll get this project. Since my last visit which was productive, I decided to work on the running Patrician to make it driveable so that I have a good foundation, as it were, for the body swap.

To get it driveable, I need to fix the stuck shifter and repair the brakes. The brakes, of course, were nearly new when it was parked but I'll have to re-rebuild all the cylinders and Treadle-Vac but, as the T-V in it is solid, I'll probadly rebuild the one from the parts car and just do a swap. The one in the parts car is rough and in need of a new master casting which I understand is available as reproduction and any parts that I repair now, I'll try to do in such a way that they don't need to be done again later so will try to properly paint everything as I go, such as the brake backing plates, etc. I've not checked if replacement brake spring kits have springs of the proper colors but if anyone has that tidbit, please let me know!

So to encapsulate the questions asked and implied above:

Are reproduction Treadle-Vac master castings any good?

Do the brake spring kits come in the proper colors?

What paint (brand and type) is proper for the backing plates and suspension? Rattle-can preferable as my shop still has limited power.

If I paint the steering column during the repair, what type of paint is it and is there a source? My car is gray.

Posted on: 2018/7/14 16:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Although I'm hundreds of miles from my shop, there was considerable activity there today. My 1985 Plymouth Voyager with the rare Magic Camper option was delivered along with a proper engine for my 1965 Imperial LeBaron while my 1985 Mustang 5.0 Coupe was picked up to bring back here to sell. Of course, my father had to come over from next door on his mobility cart to supervise but even with that help, the job was completed!

Posted on: 2018/7/14 17:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Looking in the Packard literature section, I don't see the Serviceman's Training Book on the brakes including Treadle-vac. If it's there, can someone point me to it? Otherwise I'll scan my copy to add.

Posted on: 2018/7/20 21:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
For those who've asked, yes, I am currently at my shop and have shipped some orders but I'm probably not going to work on the Patricians this trip. Instead I have been disassembling a 1965 Imperial 413 engine to be sure it's usable and checking the brakes on my 1985 Plymouth Voyager Magic Camper (which are nearly new but have heat-blued rotors for some reason), both of which were delivered to the shop since the last time I was here. The Voyager replaced my 1985 Mustang 5.0 in the shop which is now at home in California.

Posted on: 2018/10/26 22:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
We're currently in Tucson, AZ where I was just treated to a wonderful tour of Tucson Packards with Sandy and his son Mike. They were both so incredibly nice and Sandy's sense of humor matches mine perfectly.

Here is Sandy where we first found him in one of his workshops going through some parts. They had a beautiful 1950 Super Eight Victoria and an incredible 1956 Exective sedan with dealer-added A/C. On the A/C, it used the factory compressor but had a trunk-mounted unit. Under restoration was a Carribean convertible with factory A/C.

Attach file:

jpeg  (227.33 KB)
60923_5bf33cf410c05.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2018/11/19 17:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Can anyone tell me the thread size on the starter solenoid where the battery cable connects? It should be either 5/16" or 3/8" but I'm not sure which. Also, what is the bolt size where the ground strap connects?

Posted on: 2018/12/13 2:38
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Year and engine makes a difference.

If it has the small solenoid only Bendix type starter typically used with junior engines the studs are most likely 5/16-24 but if it is the larger engine with a pinion shift solenoid then 3/8-16.

The ground strap mount varied. Typical locations for inline 8s were under the generator using one of the bracket screws which is 5/16. Some engines used one of the water pump bolts which is 3/8. 55-6 usually show the cable mounted using an oil filter bolt also 3/8.

Posted on: 2018/12/13 10:40
Howard
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 ... 39 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved