Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 207

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1935 PACKARD TWELVE ON EBAY
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Is it just my impression but the two videos posted of this car the lifters seem too noisy? See below on youtube:

https://youtu.be/gpbvm8FjsSI &https://youtu.be/1ayZhSxdpOs

Posted on: 2018/6/5 22:32
 Top  Print   

Re: 1935 PACKARD TWELVE ON EBAY
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Wow, those lifters are very noisy, they should be nearly silent. And to service the valves, lifters and take-up devices properly on the Twelve can be a very costly proposition.

Posted on: 2018/6/6 7:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
RearEnd sounds funky also

Posted on: 2018/6/6 11:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Yes for an asking price of 135 grand you expect the car to be perfect.

Posted on: 2018/6/6 19:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
WARNING!!!!!!!!That 35 Packard v12 with the funky sounding engine and rear is now for sale at Hemmings at a place called Motor Antiques in Atlanta Ga. Needless to say, the asking price took a HUGE drop from the 125K they were asking for it to now 85K (obviously a reflection on the work it will take to make this thing right).

Posted on: 2018/8/18 0:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Lot of valve lash..could be a bad roller rocker too.

Posted on: 2018/8/18 9:27
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

WauhopM wrote:
WARNING!!!!!!!!That 35 Packard v12 with the funky sounding engine and rear is now for sale at Hemmings at a place called Motor Antiques in Atlanta Ga. Needless to say, the asking price took a HUGE drop from the 125K they were asking for it to now 85K (obviously a reflection on the work it will take to make this thing right).

Interesting Packard. But...

The ad may be out of Atlanta, GA, but I assure you, those videos can only be out of the desert southwest... meaning Southern California, Arizona, possibly Nevada or even Mexico. Wide open desert, mountains and palm trees just don't translate to Atlanta.

And yes, I've heard a lot of Twelves... but never heard a healthy one sound like that. Sounds like there is either a nutgrinder somewhere near the camera... or the engine is about ready for life support. The rear end sounds like it is howling for help too.

Posted on: 2018/8/18 9:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
@Leeedy
Those pictures were not taken in the desert southwest or Mexico. Those pictures were taken in Spain. (Look at the European number plates on the 2 cars in the background).

@WauhopM
The $85k is the top end of the market for this car with a sound engine and rear end. The last 2 1935 twelve club sedans that sold in the last 18 months that I know of were priced lower and had sound drive trains. (Asking price on those were $79k & $55k), I'm not aware of actual selling prices.

Posted on: 2018/8/18 10:00
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
You know I can remember the first time I saw a Packard 12 at a car show it was in frederick Md and when it rolled on to the field the only thing I heard was the grass crunching under the car and the whoosh from the fan no other noise.

Posted on: 2018/8/18 12:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Quote:
Wow, those lifters are very noisy, they should be nearly silent. And to service the valves, lifters and take-up devices properly on the Twelve can be a very costly proposition.

Indeed. We do about one Packard twelve a year at work, and rebuild the rocker arm/valve silencers for other clients who can do everything else themselves. It's a $50K engine to do right these days.

Posted on: 2018/8/18 14:40
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved