Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Tire valves
Home away from home
Home away from home

PennyPackard
See User information
Hello,

I need some help, Pep boys is holding my tires and can't mount them because they said all the valves they try "go right through" does anyone know the size of these or something I can tell them to get the right valve?

Posted on: 2019/8/11 14:21
 Top  Print 

Re: Tire valves
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

rblum
See User information
Tell them to install the truck wheel size valve stems! I use them on my cars with no problems! I'm surprised they haven't figured that out. They are wider at the base and will seal nicely. If not use inner tubes I used them before also.

Posted on: 2019/8/11 14:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
There are two different diameters for the tire valve hole in the wheel rim. The old one is a 5/8" diameter hole. In more modern times the hole was made smaller, but tire valve manufacturers made vales of both sizes. I suggest you go to a tire store to get the proper tire valves. I like the bolt-in valves rather than the cheap rubber ones.

Posted on: 2019/8/11 14:47
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PennyPackard
See User information
Thank you both, called them back and indicated the 5/8 and to use a truck size. Sounds like they looked at the inner tube became confused, and didn't actually try anything. After talking to him a bit, letting him know that I understand they used tubes but that many put tubeless on without major issue, he agreed to try a truck tire valve and get back to me.

Posted on: 2019/8/11 15:15
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
'54 was the first Packard year they were truely had tubeless safety rims, but as you said, many have run tubeless on earlier rims without an issue.

Posted on: 2019/8/13 17:24
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
both my Series 24 and 26 (1951 and 1953) packards have had tubeless Coker tires for the last 20 years. I used steel valve stems when the tires were first mounted and they are still in service. Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2019/8/15 12:23
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PennyPackard
See User information
Well, those Pep boys are pretty good boys in the end I suppose. Granted it took a couple more days but they mounted the tires with the larger/truck valves they ordered after the helpful comments here and I got them back and onto Penny with minor fender wrestling on the rear drivers side. I fully expected to be charged extra based on the ordering of valves, but they honored the super cheap price I originally paid with the amazon order and install package.

Thanks All!

Posted on: 2019/8/15 16:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
When I put on my new DiamondBacks, I was told to keep the air pressure at 42. So, I put on the steel valves and was very pleased. The tires rarely need additional air. I will start using them for all my cars!!

Posted on: 2019/8/31 12:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
"I was told to keep the air pressure at 42. So, I put on the steel valves and was very pleased. The tires rarely need additional air. I will start using them for all my cars!!"

Rscott77x,
I'm curious who suggested the 42 PSI? Is it to make the steering easier, if so, does the 42 PSI refer to the front tires only? Or, what advantage do you find running 42 PSI in all four tires it would make my cars feel like it is running over railroad ties I use 32 psi as it is.

Posted on: 2019/9/2 11:40
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
I got Diamondback radials for my Series 23 sedan. I love the look and the handling but the 42 psi inflation pressure is not great. They do it to minimize the flex of the bonded on whitewall. The high pressure makes the car ride harder. If you let the pressure fall too low the sidewalls flex and the whitewalls crack. This has happened on my car and I am unhappy. I have no other solution to offer.

Posted on: 2019/9/2 12:49
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved