Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 138

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

38 110 Business Coupe
Home away from home
Home away from home

wjames
See User information
A friend of mine called and they stated that they someone show up at their shop with a 1938 110 Business Coupe that had been stored, for who knows how long, and it was part of an estate sale. They knew that I had and liked Packard's, so they called me and I went down to take a look. Need someone who wants a pretty formidable, not me
Any they had a question about the vehicle ID Plate. It seem that it is a paper decal that was painted over. Never heard of this, but I saw it and don't what to think. Their question is " are the VIN numbers located somewhere on the frame?"
Thanks
W James

Posted on: 2019/9/17 12:07
 Top  Print 

Re: 38 110 Business Coupe
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
38 used a one year only decal for the VN information and apparently those did not hold up well at all. From all that has been posted the decals seemed to self destruct and disappear over the years. The fact that one was painted may be the only reason it is still on the car.

Perhaps if the paint is not too thick an alternative light source and varying angles looking at the decal might be able to bring out the numbers but if not, unless there is some original paperwork available there is no other place to look or any way to retrieve the number. The motor number should be stamped in the usual place and some states did use the motor number to register by. Without paperwork, today that number would only verify if the engine was the correct one for the car and might not necessarily be the same engine the car originally had.

Posted on: 2019/9/17 12:35
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
My 38 coupe (120) has a decal still somewhat intact. If you hold a light just right you can make out the numbers. In order to make life easier in the future I stamped the number into the frame rail near the steering box.

Posted on: 2019/9/17 13:38
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

wjames
See User information
So there is not any VIN on the frame or body. My Friend stated that his ford has numbers on the frame in 3 different places and you have to remove the body to see two of them

Posted on: 2019/9/17 13:42
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Other than the engine number anything stamped in steel or on the Packard frame was stopped sometime in the late 20s era. By the early 30s it seems to be the engine number was stamped on the engine and VN was only on the separate patent plate.

Posted on: 2019/9/17 14:01
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The only exception to HH56's comment that I'm aware of has been seen on two 1601 chassis sales for export to overseas coachwork builders. In both cases, in addition to the patent plate decal, the vehicle number was stamped on the top face of the right-side frame rail adjacent to the generator. Whether this was done as part of the original chassis build or after delivery is unknown to me.

Posted on: 2019/9/17 14:23
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Adrien Samuel Rebillout
See User information
Hello, everybody, i don't know if i'm on the right place to talk about the decal id for my 38 packard six but i not sure of what i read on it ^^
i identify the body number (easy) 1184 but for the sequence number i have some hesitations

???

the date nov 20 37

and dealer i don't know and the car have his original 38 ny plate so i think she was sold new in buffalo where i find it.

any suggestions for my VN?? ^^

thank you yall

Posted on: 2019/11/18 7:26
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Adrien Samuel Rebillout
See User information
Here is the picture of my decal

Attach file:

jpeg  (351.64 KB)
184996_5dd28e9b26255.jpeg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2019/11/18 7:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information
a DYI video on a 1938 Packard Coupe by Mark Lambert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XzRCGFTtOY&t=18s

Posted on: 2019/11/18 12:03
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Adrien Samuel Rebillout
See User information
Thank you for your answer, i try to find other packard six 16th s?rie to see the decal and i find one from may 38 and the number is arround 3800 my car from november 20th 1937 at 565 seem to be correct but on the pckard info model it say on a vase of 2000 so i though my number is supposed to be 2565 but i can't see 2 before 565.

Anyway

Thank you for your help :)

Posted on: 2019/11/18 14:55
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved