Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 120

Rich49, jwblazek, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Custom reduction gear mini starter
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
FWIW, I've run into a couple of custom installations where the huge, long Packard V8 starter just won't fit.

The latest is on my custom '55 Studebaker pickup with a '56 Caribbean V8 and GM power steering.

Even after grinding clearance, the starter and the steering gear would hit when the motor torqued on acceleration.

The answer is to build a custom aluminum adapter to fit a hot rod mini starter to the Packard block.

The new starter weights 10# versus 24# for a Delco. It requires a captive bolt at the top which might be impossible for some in-frame mounting. On my truck, once the right angle of the dangle was found, it was easy.

Right now, it is too expensive to consider offering them for sale, but just thought you'd like to know it is possible.

jack vines

Attach file:

jpg  (44.29 KB)
38_51af6ceb10b53.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (41.07 KB)
38_51af6d20263dc.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/6/5 11:41
 Top  Print   

Re: Custom reduction gear mini starter
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Jack -

Looks like you did everything right in the above post, but neither pic displays, here, as an inline image.

Yet, if I cut-n-paste either of those URLs in the address bar of my browser (IE8), they come up fine.

Posted on: 2013/6/5 11:48
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Hmmm....Jack's pics display fine for me.

Posted on: 2013/6/5 13:28
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Pics display fine for me too and i'm using a junk 'puter on dial-up.

Posted on: 2013/6/5 14:03
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
As for the starter:

Seems to me that such reduction gear starters are now widely available for the older (flange mount pre-70's) SBC's. What about one of those such starteres instead of recreating the wheel??? IDK.

Posted on: 2013/6/5 14:06
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
Seems to me that such reduction gear starters are now widely available for the older (flange mount pre-70's) SBC's. What about one of those such starteres instead of recreating the wheel??? IDK.
Yes, the gear reduction starters are now available for most common US V8s.

All you have to do is find one which matches the Packard mounting flange, pinion tooth count and diameter, engagement throw, clears the oil pan and you're golden. I wasn't able to do that, so had to recreate the wheel.

Just asking, what other starters interchange with the Packard V8?

jack vines

Posted on: 2013/6/5 14:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I had a pre-existing flange mount mini-starter on my 1963 Tempest V-8. It was pretty messed up when I got it as the previous owner had jammed a small piece of 2x4 into the space between the starter housing and block in order to "line it up." Also, the ring gear in the flex plate had a couple of teeth missing. LOL!

I was able to get this all fixed correctly. The former by sending the mini-starter off to a starter rebuilder in CA. The flexplate ring gear I was able to get fixed locally.

I would think one could send off your Packard starter & solenoid to one of the many mini-starter manufactures and get a "mini" duplicate made. I may do that for my Panther since I want extra space there for headers.

Nice work Jack!

Craig

Posted on: 2013/6/5 16:27
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
Hmmm....Jack's pics display fine for me.

Well, I sure wasn't imagining things.

At the time of my initial report, Jack's image info had been entered inline, but displayed as URLs flanked by "img width=300.../img" mark-up. (NOTE: brackets removed in this post ONLY, else they would not display here)

I've used that approach myself with some past posts and had no problem with it. However, Jack's URLs pointed to some Google site; perhaps remote viewing is blocked by the host and had some effect.

Regardless, it looks like Jack has since gone back and added the images as file attachments, which display fine for me.

Posted on: 2013/6/5 16:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
I would think one could send off your Packard starter & solenoid to one of the many mini-starter manufactures and get a "mini" duplicate made.

Yes, I investigated this before DIY. The aftermarket starter companies use an Asian starter package and engineer the adapter for US V8s. None of them wanted to discuss the low volume Packard project.

All that is necessary is to probe and write a program off my adapter and have a CNC mill run duplicates.

Wonder how many $500 mini starters I'd sell?

jack vines

Posted on: 2013/6/5 17:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Valeo d6ra 68 france 25f 6 0346 mercedes symbol 004 151 81 01 b. 6" from flange to end. 9"overall . 2-3/4 dia motor. Solenoid on top very small. 9 tooth gear. Not reduction. Fits pv8 bell recess wkith precision. Bolt alignment about 5\8" shorter.

Posted on: 2013/6/19 13:25
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved