Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
189 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 188

Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Safety wire fuel pump?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Craig Fox
See User information
I removed my AC fuel/vacuum pump to service, and the two bolts that hold it to the engine block are cross drilled at the heads. Look like they are meant to be safety wired? They wasn't any wire on them at this time. I could see where they might want to back off from the cam action against the pump arm. This is from a 51 288ci engine.

Posted on: 2015/6/21 9:39
 Top  Print   

Re: Safety wire fuel pump?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think the safety wire was a common practice on the pumps. My 47 has the wire and it calls for one thru 54. It may have been needed because of the wide heat insulation bushings and fiber washers not providing much for a lockwasher to bite into.

Posted on: 2015/6/21 9:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
My '54 has the cross-drilled bolt heads also but there were no wires through the holes when I bought the car. I'm wondering how the wire was installed. Was the wire looped through both bolt heads and then the ends twisted together? The service manual doesn't show the wire(s) in any picture of the fuel pump.

Posted on: 2015/6/21 22:10
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Was the wire looped through both bolt heads and then the ends twisted together?

Yes.

There were some fairly elaborate patterns for things like connecting rod fasteners but for the fuel pump bolts any configuration that prevents loosening is all that is needed. No doubt many old time mechanics didn't rewire, just as they often discarded fuel pump heat shields and the like, with the old "not needed" comment to the owner.

Posted on: 2015/6/21 22:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
Thanks, O_D. You've solved what was another Packard mystery for me. I have noted that those bolts do loosen slightly when I check them periodically. I'll have to torque them to spec. and then run a wire through them.

Posted on: 2015/6/21 22:21
Don Shields
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Run the wire so it pulls the bolt toward tight on each bolt. You can put a few twists in the wire to keep it stiff between bolts. Standard aviation practice, also used in racing a lot. You don't need to buy safety wire pliers, especially if you only need to do these two bolts.

http://navyaviation.tpub.com/14014/css/14014_116.htm

Posted on: 2015/6/21 23:43
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
Thank you, HA52 for your detailed instructions. Now the procedure makes a lot more sense to me.

Posted on: 2015/6/22 14:09
Don Shields
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
I can do pictures way better than I can explain things! Glad it helped

Posted on: 2015/6/22 21:39
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Craig Fox
See User information
Thanks for the advice. I have a 1951 Beach Bonanza also. I have heard them called the Packard of Aircraft. Funny. That is what clued me to the safety wire, as it is fairly common practice on aircraft. I think the FAA schedule for safety wire twist is 8/10 per inch with stainless steel wire. I have forgotten the gauge. Was there supposed to be a heat shield between the block and the fuel pump on a 51? There was nothing when I bought the car. Everyone one the forums talks about vapor lock, which has never happened to me. Guess I should keep a spray bottle in the trunk just in case?

Posted on: 2015/7/6 15:44
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Craig Fox
See User information
Thanks for the advice. I have a 1951 Beach Bonanza also. I have heard them called the Packard of Aircraft. Funny. That is what clued me to the safety wire, as it is fairly common practice on aircraft. I think the FAA schedule for safety wire twist is 8/10 per inch with stainless steel wire. I have forgotten the gauge. Was there supposed to be a heat shield between the block and the fuel pump on a 51? There was nothing when I bought the car. Everyone one the forums talks about vapor lock, which has never happened to me. Guess I should keep a spray bottle in the trunk just in case?

Posted on: 2015/7/6 15:45
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved